GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Emergency: Need your help with screwed up suspension...

Default Emergency: Need your help with screwed up suspension...

Ok... so I took my car to the stealership today to have them look over my car, take care of some fluid changes, etc. They love the 1990 535i... think its in fantastic shape except for the suspension. It appears that the springs have actually crept over the strut mount bushings and are not even on the perches (imagine a 1-2 inch gap between the bottom of the spring and the bottom perch of the strut housing). I'm now discovering that there seems to be two different sized strut assemblies for the E34. I would like to salvage anything that I can on the strut assemblies, as buying everything new from the wheel bearings up to the mounts is about $2200 in parts. I also don't want OEM shocks/springs because I like the body dropped a bit. What are my options here? I see the following:

1. Have them replace all suspension parts with new OEM. However, I think the rear springs/shocks are H&R Sports/Bilsteins so the ass end would sit too low and that would have to be replaced. According to the stealer the rear suspension looks fantastic.

2. Since I don't know what sized strut housings I have without taking them off, I could just get a set of used ones including wheel bearings from TheEuroDepot for $95 each for my specific car. Then get a new set of front/rear springs and shocks and maybe not be out as much money.

3. Call Turner Motorsport and findout which ever set is the smaller spring, since the ones I have are obviously too big if they crept over the top perch, and just swap those out, hoping that the bilstein strut inserts aren't shot to hell. This seems to be the cheapest but also requires more finger crossing than anything.

Anyone else have some input? Please let me know as I would like to get this matter (and parts ordered) by Friday July 14th.

Thanks in advance.

uuuuuuum, there should only be one size strut, however there are 2 different size ABS sensors/wheel hub combos, and that is where the difference should be. I was also under the impression that all 535s used an 83mm hub pulse diameter with a symmetric brake rotor face.

you could go all out, get FK coilovers, M5 upper control arms, E31 lower control arms, Whiteline swaybars....

HOWEVER, why do you need new struts, did they get damaged by the springs?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Looking at the Koni/H&R or Eibach's after checking out this website which I found in the search:

http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

Edit: I just need to make sure strut housings are the right ones.
    Last edited by uflnuceng; 07-13-2006 at 07:33 PM.

um, vines on ebay sells used front strut assemblies for $50 plus shipping. i bought two of them and with shipping it was $144. just throwing that out there.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

huh? I'm not 100% sure what's up but you should sure be looking at salvage parts for strut housings, etc. That stuff never wears out and as long as it's not bent, it's fine.

Re springs and shocks - look at the Sachs sporting kit. About $700 for all 4 corners. Nice look, nice ride and matched as well.

Hmmm...here's a thought. Your springs don't sit on the perches...like they are too short???? You have short springs in back??? I WONDER if someone put in short springs in front but didn't but in shortened shocks. Hmmmm.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I think the whole issue needs to be looked at by someone that has worked on a 90 E34. There are 2 different size nuts on the top of the strut (18 & 22 (?)), thats the difference. as for the springs not sitting on the perches either its the wrong spring or its too short or like mentioned a retarded shock.

if your just going to trust the dealer and have that money to throw out windows have at it.

good luck
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

22mm is on the later models, but thats just the shock insert, and if you are gonna get new mounts at the same time, match them to the shock.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue