GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: install a new radiator

Default install a new radiator

i need to remove and install a radiator but the furthest mechanical experience i have is doing an oil change. i have the bentley book and it shows exactly how to do it but would this work be do-able by someone like me of should i just spend the money to have a professional do it?

basicly im asking how difficult the work would be.

if you have the bentley, you can see what is involved...in my opinion its a 4 on a 10 scale.

i did mine about a year ago. hardest part was trying to get the fan off. I figured out if you just take off the fan shroud you can change the rad with the fan in place. 4/10 sounds about right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yep pulled my shroud and put a piece of cardboard between the fan and rad. easier than I thought, it did however take me 15 minutes.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It's not a big deal to change the radiator. Make sure you have a shallow tray to drain the coolant into, and maybe a funnel for use at the end when the last of it is draining out - otherwise it may dribble into your bumper shroud.

Taking the fan off is the only part that's difficult. If you can work out a way to leave it in and remove the shroud only that could make your job quite a bit easier.

Enjoy!

Fusion

Just be careful with the removal of the tranny oil cooler lines. I dropped one of the o-rings and made a big mess. just make sure you have the o-ring on the 2 ATF lines.

Its pretty easy.. I suggest getting 2 new ATF line o-rings and new top mounting clips. if you fan shroud is in bad shape get a new one too
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

Default thanks everyone

thanks for all the info guys. it really helped me decide that...im gonna take it to a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulasstar
    thanks for all the info guys. it really helped me decide that...im gonna take it to a shop.
    Honestly its not that hard of a job. I did mine about a year ago, I just made sure to follow the Bently instuctions, and I printed out the coolant drain/refill/bleed instructions from BMWE34.net and it took me about 5 hours start to finish (with a lunch break). I've also found that every time I do a job myself it makes the next one just a bit easier by familiarizing you with working on your car and also boosting your confidence. Also, i had no trouble getting my fan off, just make sure to get a wrench that will fit in the small space between the fan clutch and block and whack it a few times with a mallet.

All of the above does apply to a 535i though, im not sure how much different (easier or harder) yours might be.

If you still feel uncomfortable though, take it to a shop, Im a rather cash-strapped college student so that not really an option for me

PS - If you have any pets or small children make sure to thoroughly clean the inevitable coolant spillage, it only takes a couple licks of that stuff to kill an animal.

wimp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulasstar
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

dude you can do this with your eyes closed in two hours... save $500

cambridge has a great how to that could be of help to you even though its for the M60
    http://www.bmw-540i.com/1995-540i-ra...ment/index.php
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast