GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dealer or indy... (Bimmer techs please read)

Default dealer or indy... (Winfred, Bill R, Austin please read)

Ive been BMW tech for a little over a year now and am totally sick of the dealership environment. Doing the work right and taking your time is the last thing on the list if a tech wants to make money at this-hence the reason I dont turn hours, but almsot never get a comeback. I got a great job offer from an Indy in St Simons, Ga. A great little island of the Ga coast, I know it well. Im really considering the offer with a few worries tho.. I wont be working on strictly Bimmers any more, it will also be Mercedes, Jag, Porche. There will be less diagnostic ability as most indy's only have scan tool, not the DIS/ GT1 of a dealer. Any former or current techs here that have an opinion on one or the other. If I dont take this job at the indy, I will be leaving the dealership anyway as Im completely fed up with the red tape/ bullsh#t that gets in the way of just doing my job. Sorry for the slight rant. Time for beer and bed...

-Ben
    Last edited by BlueM60; 11-15-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Hmm nobody here works on cars for a living?

Bump

Hmm nobody here works on cars for a living?

No, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

?: How much is a SOA diagnostic system to read and diagnose all of the cars you mentioned? $30k? $100k?

Why don't you borrow the money, buy the system, and work an 80-20 split with the indy until it's paid off and you've doubled your downpayment costs; then reverse the split. Maybe form an LLC and lease it to the indy (you get the interest deduction on the loan and the depreciation of the asset).

The entrepreneur in me says, "what will it take to make this move worthwhile? the equipment. if the partnership goes south with the indy, you've still got the gear to form the same relationship somewhere else, and the expertise in utilizing the asset which increases your value in pay negotiation"

I bet there's some great red fishing down there, not to mention a few GA peaches.

best of luck and close your deal before the Xmas holiday, not during it

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

It sounds like a good deal 530i, but you must understand Im only 24 and dont quite have the clout or the finances to go about such a deal. Id really like to just work at the Indy for a year or two then open my own shop. I have the entrpreneureal spirit myself. mind if I ask what you do to maintain such attractive vehicles?

-Ben

Send a PM to aston_jag_tech. He works at an indy.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

you might want to address this to Winfred (whoever the **** he is) or Bill R, Austin also as posted. maybe repost with their names in the title.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Sorry--no help from me, but I do have a few questions. Like WTF is a comeback? Sounds like a bonus for repeat business. Is this the way a dealer works? Also are you paid per car and how fast you can get them out? Just some general questions to get to know how the dealer works. All I know is my SA and have no clue who the techs are--mind you I deal with a very large dealer here in Atlanta & would like to know if I should get to know these guys for their sake--I'd like to spread the wealth if it's possible.

530IT--MMMMM GA peach--then there is the fruit.

Perhaps an opportunity to hone your diagnostic skills.
    It sounds like you take pride in your trade, the longer you remain where you are, more likely it is you become like them.
    At an indy you will be working on older out of warranty stuff you already know. Learning the other brands will only increase your worth.
    St. Simons island is a beautiful place, go for it!
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

i used to be a chrysler tech and I know how you feel bro. I quit for good.

mechanics are paid by flat rate. basically you get paid to do a job based on how many hours in the book it says u get paid for. Lets say putting brakes on a car pays 1 hour. You do it in 1.5 hours, well you still only get paid for the single hour reguardless of how fast or slow it takes you.

Comebacks arent good, it means the tech loses money because he screwed something up and has to do it over again which wastes his time and doesnt get paid for it. It also makes customers pissed off and hurts CSI scores.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast