GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Automatic Tranny problems, VOR!!

Default Automatic Tranny problems, VOR!!

1995 540iA
    5-speed auto
    many miles... 150k+

I'm stuck, vehicle is off the road (VOR)

Reverse works fine.

In neutral, the car will move in reverse slowly if the gas is applied.

The car doesn't want to move forward in any forward gear. If the gas is applied, the car will slowly start to move forward but very reluctantly. It acts just like the brakes are clamped down. In fact, when my wife called and told me the symptoms, I figured I had a stuck brake caliper. But now I know better. The car moving backwards in neutral says something I'm sure, but I don't know what.

Any advice out there?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by SunBum
    1995 540iA
    5-speed auto
    many miles... 150k+

I'm stuck, vehicle is off the road (VOR)

Reverse works fine.

In neutral, the car will move in reverse slowly if the gas is applied.

The car doesn't want to move forward in any forward gear. If the gas is applied, the car will slowly start to move forward but very reluctantly. It acts just like the brakes are clamped down. In fact, when my wife called and told me the symptoms, I figured I had a stuck brake caliper. But now I know better. The car moving backwards in neutral says something I'm sure, but I don't know what.

Any advice out there?

Thanks for the help!

Is this a case of limp mode? Try searching the threads for "stomp test" and see if you reporting any error codes
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

Quote Originally Posted by jnmip
    Is this a case of limp mode? Try searching the threads for "stomp test" and see if you reporting any error codes
    The "stomp test" only shows the engine fault codes. The transmission is not related to the engine codes in any way. A transmission fault should activate the Trans Program message in the information screen on the dashboard. Transmission codes can be read using a special tool that a dealer or a qualified mechanic will have. I'm not an authority on these transmissions, but from what I've gathered on this forum, failure to move forward when in Drive and having operable reverse means internal damage to the transmission (at least for the 4HP22 model transmissions). You may, however, have a simpler issue like a broken/misadjusted shift lever cable. If possible, get any codes read from the transmission control unit and get a professional opinion on the issue (and then check with the gurus here again ). HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Rus
    The "stomp test" only shows the engine fault codes. The transmission is not related to the engine codes in any way. A transmission fault should activate the Trans Program message in the information screen on the dashboard. Transmission codes can be read using a special tool that a dealer or a qualified mechanic will have. I'm not an authority on these transmissions, but from what I've gathered on this forum, failure to move forward when in Drive and having operable reverse means internal damage to the transmission (at least for the 4HP22 model transmissions). You may, however, have a simpler issue like a broken/misadjusted shift lever cable. If possible, get any codes read from the transmission control unit and get a professional opinion on the issue (and then check with the gurus here again ). HTH
    Hmm you need Winfred's advice on this, you can repair this yourself (forward clutch pack replacement), you have to remove the tranny and pull the front section to bits, but it is not a major thing if you follow the right steps and have a reasonable idea about how to handle such a job. More of us need to attempt this ourselves, most peeps goto a trans shop nad pay $2000 for a rebuild or $1000 for ongoing pain and suffering... search these forums and bimmerboard and you will find much on the subject. Whatever people say, don't feel it's dead as a) your ZF4HP22EH trans is very strong b) very reliable c) many owners abuse theirs by forgetting to change the fluid (which causes the problem you face) and also like to drive their bimmer hard... Pull thr trans and make a nice clean area to work on it, Winfred has posted some golden detail with lots of pics on this job, but I don't know where the pics have got to now. You too can search for it. Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 10-08-2006 at 07:24 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

dont mess around, call Kirt first:

Kirt Koeller
    direct (616)748-5735
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    dont mess around, call Kirt first: Kirt Koeller direct (616)748-5735
    Awww Jeff, 'ssup?

Have you given up wrenchin' these days?

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default Howdy Guys, thanks for the info...

Some clarification.

Mine is a 5HP-30 tranny.

I've dealt with the limp mode foolishness several years back. That was a MAJOR pain!! Turned out to be a faulty speed sensor, which I fixed.

Also, about Kirt Koeller, HE IS THE TRANNY MAN!!! He helped me a bunch before with this transmission. It was a few years back, but I actually got a rebuilt valve body from him for this car. He was VERY helpful. I haven't been on any of the boards in a long while, so I was glad to hear you mention him. I'll definitely give him a call.

I've dropped the pan on this one before (for the valve body) but I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea or equipped to drop the transmission and gut it myself. I guess the next step is to try and find someone in the ATL, GA area to work on this thing.

Thanks again guys, these boards are great.

Default I have EXACT same problem!

SunBum
    Just read your post. I have a '95 540IA with the EXACT problem in my ZF 5H30 tranny. When I say exact...I mean it does the same thing...neutral is partially reverse...reverse works...forward gears don't...feel like brakes are on etcetra...Just occurred yeaterday (9th) and I was searching on line for a solution. Only difference is: I tried and failed to get it going...shut it off for a few hours...tried it again, in the driveway and it worked as it should. I just tried it in the driveway, back and forth a little, but forward gears worked!....I quickly shut it down, but I know it will just fail again. That makes me think it could be an electrical contact in the shifter or OBC or harness to the trans.

What did you find out on the problem? Any help would surely be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SunBum
    1995 540iA
    Any advice out there?

Thanks for the help!
    /bump
    Hey there - you mentioned you were in Atlanta. So am I, and I need some trans work done on my 93 525iT. What did you find?