GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil pump chain tighteing

Default Oil pump chain tighteing

I need some late night advice guys.

I dropped the oil pan to check on the pump bolts on my m60, they were all good.

But i noticed there was a huge ammount of slack in the chain, and i'd like to take it out.

According to bently, there is some spacer nut to the front left (if you face the sproket) that you just turn. I'm 99% sure i see the spacer they're talking about. its where one of the bolts (not nuts) mounts the pump to the engine.

So do i need to loose the BOLT that is fastened to that "spacer" before i try and turn it or can i just "adjust" while everything is tight? the spacer is pretty "high" up there and i don't really see anyway to fit a wrench in there to actually put any force on it and tighten up the chain. I know i heard Jeff mention adjusting the tension on his in a post a few days ago, any advice?

Also - i'm trying to remove the sprocket in an attempt to make all of this easier, except it won't budge, not for anything. the bently says its normal threads on the M60, am i just weak?

Well i re-read the bently and it sounds like they say to tighten the pump down before adjusting the tension. But they use the word nut, not bolt. HMM!!

anyway, i looked at it for a long time and it didn't make sense that you'd losen the bolt to turn the spacer, so i went ahead and got a good wrench and gave it some eblow grease.

It moved, and i've managed a complete turn or two!

Its hard to tell becuase it moves so slow, but i'm pretty sure i've gotten some of the slack out.

You are not weak. If I didn't have my engine on the stand with the sump upside down I probably could not loosen it either. I notched the nut on the pump sprocket after reinstalling it.

Hex nut revealed after the pump is removed.

Oil pump sprocket nut notched.

Oil pump installed.

The bolts at the base are M8.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

in that bottom picture, you can see the two mounting bolts. "under" them there are gray-ish colored "spacers."

those are the things i turned to adjust the chain tension. was i suppose to go for the hex nut? aw damn It seems to have worked just fine, but i probably broke and or losened something that i can't see as a result.

Do remove the nut and the hex thing is under it? hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    You are not weak. If I didn't have my engine on the stand with the sump upside down I probably could not loosen it either. I notched the nut on the pump sprocket after reinstalling it.

Oil pump installed.

The bolts at the base are M8.

Loosen and remove three M8 bolts plus the sprocket nut the oil pump is off.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Dude, your getting as much help as I did when I pulled the pan. Loosen and remove the passenger oil pump bolt. Insert a 8mm hex and tighten it til the chain has about 10 mm play. Then clean the hole and bolt, red loctite and tighten back up.

The adjustment hex is "inside" the bolt hole, hidden. Nothing to do with sprockets or crap like that.

too simple?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Heh, well thats not what i did. but the chain is tight, the oil pump is on tight, and after a few test runs its fine maybe next time i change the oil i'll do it right.

Thanks though, it all makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Dude, your getting as much help as I did when I pulled the pan. Loosen and remove the passenger oil pump bolt. Insert a 8mm hex and tighten it til the chain has about 10 mm play. Then clean the hole and bolt, red loctite and tighten back up.

The adjustment hex is "inside" the bolt hole, hidden. Nothing to do with sprockets or crap like that.

too simple?

Refering to the photos, if you turned the external hex that sits between the oil pump and the block, you loosened your main bearing cap. Not good I'm thinking.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

uh-oh.... sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Refering to the photos, if you turned the external hex that sits between the oil pump and the block, you loosened your main bearing cap. Not good I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    uh-oh.... sigh
    You didn't. Did you? The bolts on the bearing cap are of different size. You couldn't have...
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast