GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean and easy oil change technique...

Default Super clean and easy oil change technique...

This may be old ground but in case it isn't... there's a really slick and easy oil change technique that some may not know about.

The main part of this is a so-called "fluid extractor", basically a vacuum pump used to suck fluids such as oil, transmission fluid, etc. out of motors of all kinds (particularly useful in the boating world for inboard motors - this is where I first encountered one.) One of the first common units popularized for automotive use was called a Topsider.

Here's a photo and a link.

http://www.jerrybleach.com/pelapumps.html

There are many manufacturers and models, some are motorized, etc. The Pela 650 shown above is the one I have and use.

Anyway, here's the basic technique:

1. remove oil fill lid on valvecover & loosen oil filter cover slightly.
    2. remove oil dipstick
    3. insert fluid extractor nozzle down dipstick tube
    4. pump extractor to create vacuum
    5. wait for oil to be sucked out of oilpan
    6. replace filter per usual, etc.
    7. refill with new oil
    8. replace oil lid
    9. run engine, check levels
    10. throw away the 2 paper towels you used for the whole process

This is the nice and clean, easy way to do an oil change. Civilized! No jack, stands, ramps, messy oil plugs and pans, oil drips in your garage, etc.

There are two caveats though (and they're not exactly trivial)

1. I'd recommend a magnetic drain plug in your car if using this technique (in fact they're probably a good idea anyway). I think I've seen a few sources for these if you want to buy them. I made my own by milling a recess in the end of a new drainplug and inserting a neodymium magnet.

2. There is a possibility that not all particles may be sucked out of the drainpan, so you could do a regular drain every 2nd or 3rd or etc. oil change for peace of mind.

My experience has been that I wind up removing just as much oil from the drainpan with this technique as I had with the typical drainpan technique so I'm pretty confident that there's minimal oil left behind and little or no leftover particles (they should be in the filter, or stuck to the drain plug in any case). Also I do a full drain every 2nd or 3rd oilchange just for good measure.

Anyway, that's it - a really nice, easy way to change oil, particularly good by way of it is clean, hassle-free and easy.

Enjoy!

Fusion
    Last edited by nuclearfusion; 07-11-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Thats kinda lame. I mean cmon, its not that hard to change your oil the normal way.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I'm kind of in question about the sludge thing... if a person changes their oil maybe (with today's synthetics) every 6000 miles, then 2-3 oil changes equals 12,000-18,000 miles without removing the stuff from the bottom of the pan... Yikes... I'll stick with the old fashioned way. The one HUGE benefit that makes changing oil the regular way is that you can also inspect the underside of your engine and the suspension links, steering links and such for possible damage or other possible leaks... nada if you take shortcuts. However... it is a cool piece of equipment and that's a good thing too!

Sincerely,
    -Eric
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

That puts the L in lazy. Why defy gravity? Great if you like to buy stuff off late night TV, but not a good way to do things as crud remains in the pan.
    There are petcocks available that make things quicker and save you from replacing the seal ring on the plug each time. And I'm sure they cost less.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Great idea.. I've seen these before but never used one. I think it's good to have one around though
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

I sit under the magnolia tree with a wee bit of single malt scotch and watch my daughter do the oil change. Very easy, very clean, and very refreshing!

zmuff--1989 535i 5-speed--17" E39 Style 32's--JC chip--UUC Short Shift--
    --Racing Dynamics Springs & Sways--Bilsteins--Yorktown, VA

I think on new Mercedeses thats the only way you can change the oil.
    I guess you have to pull the oilpan every now and then and clean it.

Pass. . . . Why ask for trouble?

It's so that you can say you did it yourself, without actually doing much of anything Feel accomplished!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

To quote Alexlind123... "That's kinda lame. I mean cmon, its not that hard to change your oil the normal way."
    my MBZ mechanic once told a prospective customer who was looking at my 73' 280 but was complaining about the lack of electric windows..." if your not strong enough to roll down the windows maybe you shouldn't be driving"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast