GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone changed their trailing arm bushings???

Default Anyone changed their trailing arm bushings???

As mentioned in another post, I've changed about all of my other suspension bushings in the past couple of weeks. The only thing left is the trailing arm bushings. After the mess of pressing the new 750i thrust arm bushings in, I'm a bit apprehensive about tackling the trailing arm bushings, although I feel it would be a good thing to go ahead and put the new Meyle bushings in that I purchased from BMA. I suppose I'm looking for someone who's done it to describe how and lend a little moral support. Any help or links to help would be appreciated. I've done searches here and at...gasp...Roadfly, plus Google and haven't had much luck.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

If you could tell me what the trailing arm bushing is I can tell you if I have done it or not. I think I have replaced all suspension parts with the exception of the rear strut on my 525. Yes the new pair of rear struts are in my garage. Can't find time for them yet.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Im a master at rear suspension - ask E34 530. Anyway, trailing arm bushings are referred to as "dog bones" I think. Or pitmans.

I take it back. Apologies. I did the dog bones for the rear stabilzer bar. But I did not do the rear pitmans.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Default I'm not referring to pitmans, dogbones, etc...

I would have thought that my description was pretty self-explanatory. The trailing arm is the large rear suspension member that the rear wheel bearing and brake parts are connected to. This arm attaches to the rear suspension subframe at two different points. At each one of these points, there is a bushing. That is the bushing I'm talking about changing. If anyone has changed those bushings themselves, I would like to know how they did it.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

sub frame bushings? I have heard they are a pain. Plenty of stuff in teh archives.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Technicaly they are not trailing arms, but controll arms, and they suck to replace. unless the bearings in them have failed, leave them alone. even with the factory tool it is a total pain.

Default No, sorry. They are trailing arms. The definition of a trailing arm

has its fastening or pivoting point at the body, thats the leading end of the arm and the trailing part of the arm fastens to the wheel hub or axle. So the assembly is perpendicular or fairly close to perpendicular to the rear end or axle. A control arm pivots in the other direction
    Here's a picture of the e34 trailing arm and where it pivots from

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    Technicaly they are not trailing arms, but controll arms, and they suck to replace. unless the bearings in them have failed, leave them alone. even with the factory tool it is a total pain.
    Last edited by Bill R.; 09-14-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Cool, thanks Bill, in my minds eye, they always pivot on either side of the axle for some reason. Maybe I've just worked on too many Jags and my mind is just numb.

next thing you know I will be drinking tea....with milk in it(do people really do this?)....and eating other peoples biscuits when I go out.

Hello Robert K,

I’m still in the process of changing out the trailing arm bushings…
    First attempt… I fabricated a special tool using my lathe… that didn’t work…
    Second attempt…I took the trailing arms to a local shop and had them press the old ones out and press the new one in…

I told the dude at the counter the bushings were asymmetrical and had to be pressed in a certain way.. Of course that little bit of info never made it to the machine shop.

I picked up the trailing arms and brought them home without checking the bushings…Yep they were wrong.

Back to the machine shop I went.. this time I had written instructions and a phone number so they could reach me if they had any questions.

A week went by and no call. I went in last Sunday and inquired about the trailing arms… Nothing was done because they did not understand what asymmetrical was. (Evidently that’s a $10.00 word)

I drew a picture for the guy and he understood. The arms should be ready today!

My advice is to take the arms to a machine shop. Attach a diagram to the trailing arm.
    Do not use the word “asymmetrical”…. just a picture will do.

Best of luck!
    SOLD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast