GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What else to do with heater core fix?

Default What else to do with heater core fix?

I'm going to have to attack the heater core sometime soon. I have a coolant leak(outside the car fortunately, but I do smell coolant with heat on) that will require me to diagnose the heater core/pipes. I'm debating whether or not to just replace the whole lot and spare myself from having to do the job again.

I've seen several methods to do get to the heater core, but if I'm going to the effort to remove this much stuff, what else should be on the "TO DO" list?

I'm already planning to replace the cabin microfilter. I'm having a problem with the blower where it only works well on setting 4, and intermittanly on settings 1-3, so I plan to replace the resistor pack as well.

I saw a thread saying that there are two types of heater cores-- specifically in my case a newer one that I'd need to buy for my '94 540. This true?

Thanks
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Check flapper motor operation? check archives for fairly recent posts.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

ditto on russels post. carefuly check arround the motors that drive the flap doors for any signs of cracking. You can either replace the entire upper hvac cover, or do one of the fix's that many folks do.

I advise taking the whole thing apart, the entire dash comes out easier than trying to fight arround the dash still in the car.