GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEDs in touring brakelight

Default LEDs in touring brakelight

Seems I saw this once but tried and can't find it.
    A few of the LEDs in my touring's high brakelight are out so while I'm changing the warped lens I'd like to replace the dead LEDs also.
    Can someone tell me what and where to buy besides BMW?
    Also the screws through the glass that attatch it are rusted to the point that you can't see what sort of head was on them. Am I just asking to break the uber$$$ glass?
    Anyone care to share experience and tips with me?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default From our old friends Micah and

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Seems I saw this once but tried and can't find it.
    A few of the LEDs in my touring's high brakelight are out so while I'm changing the warped lens I'd like to replace the dead LEDs also.
    Can someone tell me what and where to buy besides BMW?
    Also the screws through the glass that attatch it are rusted to the point that you can't see what sort of head was on them. Am I just asking to break the uber$$$ glass?
    Anyone care to share experience and tips with me?

I've done it. Bought the bulbs from BMA, they were like $3 each, and there are 24 of the buggers. I replaced them all while I was in there, if you don't there will be other that go out as soon as you replace everything.

It was really pretty easy, just follow the dierections on Bruno's site and it should go well.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Thanks for the directions to bruno. As I've now found they aren't LEDs but bulbs. Perhaps a conversion is in order, nope scratch that I'm not prepared to deal with the OBC.
    The two screws on the bottom crumbled and both ends of the lens have broken off. This ought to be fun.
    Any spec for the bulbs? I'll go without before I give near four clams apiece for those buggers! Times how many!
    Seventy odd dollars for a lens and another seventy for bulbs?? For a brakelight!! Geez, no wonder people get disgusted.

I don't think you'll find the bulbs anywhere else, especially any cheaper. They have a special shape designed to hold the strip in the lens. They are 1.4watt bulbs, if that helps. I have about 12 used ones that still worked. I'd hate to do all this work only to put used bulbs back in. But if you want them, I'll make you a deal!

You might want to get in touch with Brett (Rigmaster) here on the board. he may have a used assembly in good shape.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Scotty, Here's my plan. I see they are 1.4 watt as you said. The size doesn't concern me too much as the whole strip is held by a few screws, maybe a careful bit of silicone to help also.
    Wish me luck on the bulbs. thanks for you offer too.
    This is only difficult because of the corroded fasteners, the remains of the screws were holding it in. It makes me real nervous to be cutting and poking around a five hundred dollar piece of glass!
    I'll keep you posted.

LEDs should be possible, as long as the resistance is the same -- ie. slap some resistors on the end or something (please note: I am not an auto-electrician), should trick the OBC. I read this somewhere in here about putting LEDs instead of bulbs for the tail lights, try doing a search in the forums.

Default It's easier than it looks

Just a s Bruno's site shows.

Remove two screws (pre soaked with WD-40) and it slides out.

I marked the dead bulbs with a shrapie pen, while the PC board was still hooked up the the car. Tap the rest of the bulbs to look for twinklers.

Buy 2x as many bulbs as needed, cause some more will fail during the process.

Did this and the window struts in the same afternoon and still had time to wash the car.

I was thinking about a LED upgrade, but I am not sure if this light is or is not hooked up the CCM.

I hate to pull all the bulbs, replace with LEDs and a resistor, just to live the perpetual "Brake light circuit" on my dash.

Any thoughts?

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Yes, it is hooked up to the CCM.
    I replaced mine a few years ago with a 1.2 watt bulb I found at Autozone. I think it was a 2721 bulb with a wedge shaped base. I just bent the contacts back and soldered them through the board. The difference is negligible and the bulbs are like 2 for $2.50. The dealer quoted me something like $6 each for the bulbs.
    I have also thought about LED’s and actually have had a package of 25 red LED’s on my desk for a couple of years. You would have to put a resistor between the car’s voltage and the LED or they will only light up once.
    Ryan
    1994 525iT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast