GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Where's my coolant leaking?

Default Where's my coolant leaking?

Pulled into parking lot today, opened the door, and WTF is that noise... coming from MY CAR! (The 525iT, M50). Pop the hood, yep, coolant leaking pretty badly. Looks like it's squirting from someplace under the intake manifold. Let it cool a bit, figure I can drive home (stupid I know, but it wasn't far and I made it).As I was going home, turned off the AC and put the heat on full. Needle dropped almost immediately to normal. Made it home without temp hitting the red. Still squirting, looks like the leak is about in the middle (lengthwise) of the intake.

My question is what is there that can be leaking? Bentley's doesn't have a photo of the cooling system layout as far as I can find. Man, I hate to think I have to remove the intake to fix a stupid coolant hose! And I'm supposed to be taking this car to the beach Thursday morning...

Any help?
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Real OEM shows this: Looks like hose #13 might be suspect?

Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

That could be - that's the hose that circulates hot coolant through the throttle body. I actually bypassed that on my car - that thermostat thing is in the back of the stock airbox. Unfortuantely it sounds like you are leaking @ the head, which means you can't bypass to fix it, because bypassing still uses that head inlet/outlet.

Man, I can barely even see the head inlet, let alone try to replace the hose. So I have to remove the intake to get at it? Damn, wish this happened a week ago, I had all sorts of time then. Now I got none...
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Yeah intake should come off but fear not, I did mine in under 15 mins! All you do is the 9 or so 10mm nuts on the top, the TB 4 bolts, the two hex heads hanging onto the lower bracket and its free.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM
    Pulled into parking lot today, opened the door, and WTF is that noise... coming from MY CAR! (The 525iT, M50). Pop the hood, yep, coolant leaking pretty badly. Looks like it's squirting from someplace under the intake manifold. Let it cool a bit, figure I can drive home (stupid I know, but it wasn't far and I made it).As I was going home, turned off the AC and put the heat on full. Needle dropped almost immediately to normal. Made it home without temp hitting the red. Still squirting, looks like the leak is about in the middle (lengthwise) of the intake.

My question is what is there that can be leaking? Bentley's doesn't have a photo of the cooling system layout as far as I can find. Man, I hate to think I have to remove the intake to fix a stupid coolant hose! And I'm supposed to be taking this car to the beach Thursday morning...

Any help?
    Min was leaking from this, the Aux Water Pump. Its situated up under the Heater Valves at the Firewall and Drivers side Corner under the Hood
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Scott, could be the 4-way hose (item 6 in diagram)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM
    Looks like it's squirting from someplace under the intake manifold.
    I had a brand-new one from BMA go to leaking after one day on the car. Managed to remove and install without pulling the intake...

It will manifest itself as a leak under the intake, due to its location.
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Default there's a place that sells all cooling hoses as a kit...

.... but don't remember who that was, and was probably cheaper to source them individually anyway.... but may as well just do all the hoses while you're in there... I know I want to get to it... but...
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead