GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Remote Key Receiver

Default Remote Key Receiver

Are these hard and or expensive to replace? I noticed my key needed to be closer and closer lateyly to work then it stopped altogether so i obtained new batteries, reprogrammed it and it worked. It worked today too at first but a few hours into my trip it didn't. The LED on the key still flashes and i ran thru the reprogram again to see if it had soemhow lost the code but nada.The key is 10 years old and the Lock button has a little tear around the rubber where you press but since the LED flashes on the key i'm guessing the receiving unit has died.
    Last edited by Jehu; 07-09-2006 at 12:47 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

The keyless entry on your model will accept a limited number of "false" inputs, then it will stop working. It may be worth worth running it to the dealer and having them reset the system if you canot locate anything else. They will have to code a new remote anyway if your current one is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    The keyless entry on your model will accept a limited number of "false" inputs, then it will stop working. It may be worth worth running it to the dealer and having them reset the system if you canot locate anything else. They will have to code a new remote anyway if your current one is not working.
    Thanks. Can i reset the system by disconnecting and reconnecting my battery?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

no

Josh,

I'm in a similar situation. If I understand you, the dealer can reset this "locked" state on the receiver? If the key remote is functioning that sounds like a fairly straightforward job.

Can replacement recievers be purchased?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

On a related issue, I bought mune used and I'm not sure if it had keyless entry or not, no fob came with it. Where can I look and see if there is a module or not?
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

It may or may not have it. You can search the VIN to find out, (search around and you will find ways to decode your VIN). Also search this site for alarm and back seat. There are a number of types but proly only one for a '90 535i.

Under the back seat is sometimes a piece of paper that lists the accessories your car was made with- if it hasn't already been 'found' by a PO. Another good sign whilst yoiu are under the rear seat is a large, obvious blue connector on the opposite side to the battery.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Josh,

I'm in a similar situation. If I understand you, the dealer can reset this "locked" state on the receiver? If the key remote is functioning that sounds like a fairly straightforward job.

Can replacement recievers be purchased?
    There is a way to add a new key by cycling the key and then hitting the remote buttons in a certain order in a certain time, but I can't remember the steps. If the remote does not work, or the system is locked, the dealer will have to reset the system. The module is receiver, it canbe replaced but its quite expensive. there is a direct fit aftermarket system that some one on th eboard used recently, and aside from some confusion over wiring, seemed to work properly. I think the system may have been cheaper than getting a new ews module from the dealer, but you still have to pay to get the keys cut to the car, which is not cheap.

Airborne001, you have the older ews system if you have it, the the module is located under the back seat and the remote was a separate fob, the 540i's had ews-II which has the 3 button key.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    There is a way to add a new key by cycling the key and then hitting the remote buttons in a certain order in a certain time, but I can't remember the steps. If the remote does not work, or the system is locked, the dealer will have to reset the system. The module is receiver, it canbe replaced but its quite expensive. there is a direct fit aftermarket system that some one on th eboard used recently, and aside from some confusion over wiring, seemed to work properly. I think the system may have been cheaper than getting a new ews module from the dealer, but you still have to pay to get the keys cut to the car, which is not cheap.

Airborne001, you have the older ews system if you have it, the the module is located under the back seat and the remote was a separate fob, the 540i's had ews-II which has the 3 button key.
    Thanks Josh,

I'll need to do a little searching, but do you remember if the aftermarket system you're referring do wires in for double locking and alarm?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Thanks Josh and Gen.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.