GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever on the brink of getting rid of your E34?

Default Ever on the brink of getting rid of your E34?

I just came VERY close. This past month the car has been leaking coolant slowly, and when I took it in for an inspection, I was told the water pump would be giving out soon, as I suspected. So, I decide to ditch the plan for suspension and wheels and save my pennies to get the water pump, thermostat, and bulging hoses replaced.

One week later, I'm pulling into a parallel parking spot by my house, and as I'm curbing the wheels my power steering starts to get a little shaky. I didn't think anything of it, but then when I turned the car off the dash displays the "coolant level" message. Hmm, that's odd, I just topped off the coolant two days ago...look under the car...no bad leaks. The following morning I'm in a hurry and forget to put more coolant in, but the message doesn't come up and I'm only traveling a few miles to a neighborhood where I can catch the train into downtown. Once parked again, I get the coolant message, but don't have time to check out the car.

After work, I get back to the E34 to find a huuuge puddle of coolant, among other fluids. It was dark and I didn't have a flashlight, and I was tired from work so I called the girlfriend and had her pick me up and would get the car towed in the morning.

So, it gets towed to my mechanic downtown who tells me that the water pump, of course, went out and it needed all the parts expected. But as the day went on, he kept giving me a list of other hoses that need to be replaced or should be replaced to prevent further problems. Up went the price, and up went my anxiety and I began to rethink whether it is really worth all these parts to keep this car alive. I definitely trust this mechanic, as he's an honest guy and gave me the details of the procedures, albeit over the phone while I was at work and only half able to listen.

The final price came to about 1/3 of my car's estimated worth. I just got the car back a few minutes ago, and was not able to pick it up in person since the shop was closing at 5:00, and I was getting off of work at 5:30 so I paid over the phone and sent a friend to pick it up, in order to prevent being carless this weekend. So I have no reciept, and still don't know EXACTLY what was done, but I've emailed them and should get one soon. All I know is that the cars temp no longer reads a tick above the midway mark as it used to, and now my AC, and heater work on all levels of the rotary dial, and not just on full blast as they used to.

It's a relief to have my car back, but these past two days I've been considering calling it quits and getting an econo car until I'm out of college and can more easily afford these surprize repairs. I'm now just hoping that the E34 will hold out for a year or so without needing any major repairs. Anyone else have experiences like this with their cars? After all, many are approaching the 20 year mark, and although we all swear to run them until they die, I'm still fearing the day I have to let mine die.
    Last edited by SC David; 07-07-2006 at 10:18 PM.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

David

Those repairs must be killing you on a student budget. Even not being on a student budget, the repairs on our former 525 always seemed stunningly expensive and too frequent. I feel a little differently now, because my expectations are different.

I sincerely believe it takes $2,000 a year to keep a BMW on the road whether it is 3 years old or 20 years old. I don't think it is fair though to compare the cost of repair to the total value of the car. With an e34 you get a luxury experience at a budget price in terms of purchase price. Even at the $2k a year, I think what you get for the total dollars is a deal.

If you were not prepared for the $2k a year, I can understand why you are questioning whether you should keep it. I sincerely hope you are able to hang on to yours.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm probably not in quite as much of a financial pickle & I can't imagine what it costs to live in California, but I have developed a little bit of a strategy.

In the beginning it was always like--set a little bit of money aside for a mod, BLAM! surprise repair---set a little bit of money aside for a mod, BLAM! surprise repair. It could be very frustrating, wanting to love on your car and then having to keep it alive instead. Then I remembered a talk that I had back in my restaurant days with one of the waiters who always seemed to be doing very well financially. I asked him "how is it that all these other waiters have so little money, and you always seem to be doing nice things for yourself?". His response was to "pay your self!". When you pay your bills, pay your self.

So, somewhere along the line I decided that if I was ever going to make head-way on my car, instead of getting behind, I would have to "pay my car". Now, every time I pay for a repair, I work twice as hard to pay for a mod ASAP (and I really mean that). Sure, sometimes that can be expensive, and maybe too expensive for you. But, it's important to strive for that extra cash straight away and make a mod right away so that you can love your car again. I guess what I'm trying to say is "pay your car when you pay your bills on Friday or whatever, and save money for repairs."

Sooner or later you might just meet in the middle and find that mods and repairs are inter-changeable.

Also, try to remember how much you'll hate driving something else and how much you'll miss to the chance to do a mod when you have the money but you're stuck driving an Accord or Prius or whatever.

Thanks Gayle, I definitely understand the cost of owning this car, and it has cost me about $2000 a year on average which is to be expected. This year has been exceptionally expensive, with bills totalling around $3000 over the past three months. I guess it just got to that point in its life when everything needed to get replaced. I'm hoping for a cheaper year starting today, is all. If costs continue at the rate they have been, I'm going to have to live in the car, and ditch the house, which actually doesn't sound so bad

Quote Originally Posted by HDhandyman
    Sooner or later you might just meet in the middle and find that mods and repairs are inter-changeable.
    Haha, this is true. I have some suspension components that need redoing, which coincides with the springs and shocks that will need to be installed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SC David
    Thanks Gayle, I definitely understand the cost of owning this car, and it has cost me about $2000 a year on average which is to be expected. This year has been exceptionally expensive, with bills totalling around $3000 over the past three months. I guess it just got to that point in its life when everything needed to get replaced. I'm hoping for a cheaper year starting today, is all. If costs continue at the rate they have been, I'm going to have to live in the car, and ditch the house, which actually doesn't sound so bad
    The $2k is an average. Some years its $1200 and some years its $3k. You are probably good for a while, if its $3k in the last 3 months.

(Selling now would be like selling a stock when it is at the low point in its cycle rather than selling at the peak--but the normal emotional reaction is to want to get out when things are not going well and not taking into consideration the cycle and that things are likely to change. It is probably those who have not had to make an expensive repair lately who should be thinking about selling.)

I had the inspection 2 on my car last December and it was wonderful. I have my repairs planned out for the next year because I know what is on the way out and how far along the problems are. I might not feel that way if my indy were not so great and really explained everything to me.
    Last edited by Gayle; 07-07-2006 at 11:10 PM.

No - never.

David, sorry to hear what happened.....so, its all patched up?

Don't feel bad. My car got a taste of the tow truck madness today.

I was at stonestown and got back in the car to go grab dinner. Starts fine, then starts to shake and stutter. Then dies. Hasn't been able to start up again. I suspect its the fuel pump.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default If you do the work yourself

it's just a labor of love

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

It's the cost of ownership. How much did you pay for your car? Exactly. It all evens out... except you're driving a luxury car instead of an econobox and making payments monthly In the long run, this is better I'd say.

On that note, my temp is a full needle width space from center. I need to components changed soon (probably next week). I have all the parts, so labor would be about $200-250 if 'outsourced'.

Changing:

11531722531 Thermostat Housing RONAK
    17111469177 Behr OEM Radiator
    17111742231 Expansion Tank Radiator Cap
    11521712058 Fan Blade RONAK
    11537511580 Thermostat
    11 53 1 265 084 Thermostat O Ring
    11 53 1 740 437 Thermostat Housing Gasket
    11 51 7 527 910 Water Pump
    (This is updated with a metal impellor, stock was a plastic impellor)
    11531720678 Upper Radiator Hose
    11531722852 Lower Radiator Hose
    13541738622 Cooling Hose
    64211384746 Cooling Hose
    13541730684 Cooling Hose
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast