GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Painting Rocker Panels ASAP Please (esp '95 owners)

Default Advice on Painting Rocker Panels ASAP Please (esp '95 owners)

Before I leave on my trip soon, I need to get some painting done on my car that has been waiting for me… the PO painted the side rocker panels and lower rear bumper. The rear paint is fine, but the sides only look good from a distance. Up close, it looks/feels like orange peel, and it’s finally starting to chip off. It appears like the plastic surface was not prepared properly :/. A local auto painter said he could sand both side rocker panels, repaint them, fix a crack in the front lower bumper and paint that whole bumper too for $300. Does that sound reasonable? Now, on to my main dilemma:

I’m wondering if the 1995 E34s with painted rocker panels have those two “cracks” on each side. As you can see in the pictures, they line up with either the door edge or some lines on the step when you open the rear door. They are obviously by design, and I’m assuming they are there to facilitate water drainage (?). The guy can either bondo up those “cracks,” and paint smoothly over the top, or he can leave them there and finish around the edges (Looks like the PO tried to paint over the rear crack as you can see in the pic). Your advice please!

Thanks so much,
    Greg

_

the cracks are pretty much normal, the orange peel I believe the rocker paint has flex in it so it dont chip like regular paint.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yeah I tried to paint my side as well and it orange peels. Live with it or take some time to sand and repaint

Better yet, get mtech skirts!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Can anyone who is familiar with a 1995 model tell me if they still have those drainage cracks? My real question is: do I fill in the cracks and then paint, or leave the cracks there?
    _

I'll go outside and have a look on my 95...

EDIT: Yes there are "cracks" on mine as well. They kinda look more like guides or grooves than cracks though. I suspect they are for water drainage too.

Yeah yeah I know, I need to wash my car. I promise I'll do it this weekend. I want to do the same as you, paint the bottom, so does it need to be prepped and stuff? Do they sand the "rough grain" of the plastic down so that the paint sticks on better or something?

Anyway, here's pics of mine.

Last edited by Yiorgos; 07-06-2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Updated pics

mine are crack free

mine have no "cracks". They are actually a plastic material side skirts that I believe are added over the same rocker panels you have. There are different door bottom trims used as well. If you want the existing paanels smooth you will need to remove the gravel protection materials, prime and repaint.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Do the 1995 models come stock with "m-technic" skirts? Russell, your description sounds like that, as I believe m-technic skirts have no cracks and use plastic stripping along the bottom edges of the doors. So it wouldn't cause any problem to completely fill in those cracks, sand, prime, and paint over?
    _

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    Do the 1995 models come stock with "m-technic" skirts? Russell, your description sounds like that, as I believe m-technic skirts have no cracks and use plastic stripping along the bottom edges of the doors. So it wouldn't cause any problem to completely fill in those cracks, sand, prime, and paint over?
    yes the 95 models came with the m-tech sides. If you look as lowell's write-up, he put the M-techs right over the existing skirts.

http://www.bmw4life.com/mTechSkirts.htm

The 95s have the M-Technic skirts. Also, It seems that several people on the board have painted the are below the doors body color. Now How you fill in the crack/seam may be critical. I suspect that area will flex a bit in normal driving. it may crack if you just use body filler. Others may know better than I do.

I would recommend you investigate buying a used set of M-tech skirts and trims and go from there. I think you will be happier, especially if you wnat to hide or get rid of the crack/seam.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast