GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooling the CD Deck (weird)

Interesting that I haven't had this problem and Atlanta has had awful temperatures lately [every day for about the last month has been 90+]...I will keep an eye out to see if I run into this problem at all [at least until I replace my stereo with my Alpine]

Default cd changer

I have a black '94 540i with the original 6-disc changer in the trunk. I live in Phoenix where it is not uncommon for it to get up to 110+ degrees during the day, and lord knows how hot it is within the trunk, and I have never had an error code. Maybe it's something else. -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne001
    Well, since Qsilver7 did such an awesome job on my last stupid question, here is an every weirder one.

I live near Washington DC, and for about 2-3 months out of the years it gets hot as hell here. When the temps gets much over 90 my 6-CD deck in the trunk starts throwing Err codes at me. It says right in the manual for the deck that this is caused by over heating and to just "listen to something else for a while" Needless to say this is a bit annoying.

Rather than just replace it, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about where I could pull off a small duct line from the AC vents that supply the back seats, and have it blow discreetly on the deck. I don't think it would take a LOT of cold air to keep it in range, any fresh air in that closed envirnment has got to help.

I want this car to stay as original looking as possible, so whatever I do it has to be totally inconspicuous. I was thinking about trying to find some flexible plastic vent type stuff that was maybe 1.5 inches by 1/2 inch, easy to sneak it around unnoticed.

Like I said, this may be my dumbest question yet, but I appreciate any sugestions you have.

Strange as it seems, now it is running just fine, regardless of temp. I'm happy, kind of. If the damn thing is going to break I wish it would just break so I can get it replaced.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    i remember seeing a post of someone hooking up 2 120mm 12V computer fans

i live in annandale va, i have no problems like this...strange... in alexandria there is a computer shop called www.advanced2000.com i buy 120mm computer case fans for cooling all kinds of stuff...12v these suckers push more air than an airplane engine. just mount upthe fan behind the deck with paper clips or something. it keeps a 2 ghz p4 cool from 2 feet away with only a heatsink on it. (this is an amazing feat) if that dosnt solve your problem i dunno what will. i mentioned advanced 2000 because they have 120mm fans for like 3 bucks...neweggs cheapest is 11$ shoot me a pm since we are both in the dc area i would love to see your car.

Thanks for that link, we had a place like that in Mountain View CA that was awesome, been looking for something like them out here. At the old place you could Franekstein together a Battlebot for about 200 bucks.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne001
    Strange as it seems, now it is running just fine, regardless of temp. I'm happy, kind of. If the damn thing is going to break I wish it would just break so I can get it replaced.
    It is probably a component going out of spec. The decks are old, have seen massive changes of heat too many times. If it annoys you get a new or bench test it under a meausred 50 degree heat. When it fails, use a car of freon to isolate the component on the PCB that prefers to be cool. Could easily take 2 hours to do, maybe you are better off to replace it. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default It's cool in Houston - not!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-AZ
    I have a black '94 540i with the original 6-disc changer in the trunk. I live in Phoenix where it is not uncommon for it to get up to 110+ degrees during the day, and lord knows how hot it is within the trunk, and I have never had an error code. Maybe it's something else. -- Mike

Same here in Houston - my car is Orientblau (dark blue) and my changer has never had the problem you describe, Airborne. I agree that it's probably a component in your unit.

The problem has been intermitent at best, gonna replace the deck when I can, I'd like to get a 12-disc changer, but have to talk to my steroe guys about a deck to run one.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12