GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: A/C Harness - A Favor

Default A/C Harness - A Favor

Could someone with a digital camera, an 89 535 and a 3 minutes on their hands post pictures of (a) the A/C switches that are (usually) located in the harness next to/tye wrapped to, the large hose coming off of the a/c compressor, and (b) the switches/wires located right behind the passenger side headlights? Trying to figure out what the wiring SHOULD look like. There is an extra wire in there, which looks factory, isn't connected to anything but is putting out intermittent juice.

I'm still chasing a/c gremlins and trying to un-do the meatball surgery wherein the goddamn PO wired the A/C into the high beam juice. I liked this guy when I picked up the car, but now if I had a picture I would be throwing darts at his face. (After mostly undoing his "work" i have intermittent a/c AND intermittent high beams.)

Thanks folks, Happy 4th!!
    1989 325iX 5spd Coupe Koni Adjustable/H&R
    1989 535i 5spd Bilstein Sports/H&R, Tri-Flo, Conforti, UUC SSK

"If it isn't Diamondschwartz, it isn't... Dark Grey?"

There are two different pressure switch harnesses for the car -- a later and an earlier, where the later retrofits into the earlier cars with the replacement of the receiver/drier. The telltale sign is one pressure switch versus two on the drier (or two versus three? I forget at the moment). Which is on the car?

There are also two different harnesses for the compressor clutch, but I can't recall the differences and cut off dates.

When this was all wired up previously, did the A/C have to be turned on to get the headlights working?

best, whit

I have the earlier harness so apparently the Indy installed a new old stock drier when they charged up the system a couple fo months ago.

Seems the compressor finally went - probably because it seems to have been on (that is, getting juice) 100% of the time. It threw the belt while my Dad was driving it the other day, A/C clutch still seems to lock up when switched on, but no spin on the compressor.

"When this was all wired up previously, did the A/C have to be turned on to get the headlights working? " Sadly, yes - actually I had to engage stuff in a very specific sequence: Recirculate Switch, A/C Switch, Lights. When turning the car off, had to do this in reverse before turning off ignition or else the hi-beams wouldn't work.

Its absolutely bizarre. Still can't figure out WHY the PO ever thought this was a good or even workeable idea...

best, whit[/QUOTE]
    1989 325iX 5spd Coupe Koni Adjustable/H&R
    1989 535i 5spd Bilstein Sports/H&R, Tri-Flo, Conforti, UUC SSK

"If it isn't Diamondschwartz, it isn't... Dark Grey?"

I'll snap some pics when i get home... hopefully i will remember Granted, if you can take pics of what you are looking for that would help... else I'll snap aimlessly.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World