GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended E34 for student.

Default Recommended E34 for student.

Hey everyone,

I'm in Australia and am a student. I always used to love the E30 styling, but recently it's been hard to find one in good condition, and the look is becoming even more outdated. I've always liked the E34, but thought that perhaps the size would be too much for my needs.

I think that a nice 91 or so E34 looks fantastic with a leather interior, very modern looking for a car of its age!!

Originally, I was liking the 525i, but then was thinking about fuel prices, etc, and then converted myself to the 520i, and saw some photos of the anniversary edition which looked amazing! My only concern with the 2L is the power,any owners got some feedback on the power? Is it enough for normal driving? I'll be getting a manual also, since I enjoy a bit more control over the gears.

So yeah, pretty much, is it worth upping to the 525?? Or should I stick with looking for a nice 520i?

Thanks a lot guys!

I dont think you will save much fuel with 520 compared to 525, maybe like 1l/100km.

Just don't go for 535i Because it'll grow on you and, like I, will get a bike for commuting coz 100 bucks a week for fuel will get too much but you just won't have the heart to sell her!

Fuel for my 525i is usually about $55 for 45L of petrol (I always fill up on Tuesday afternoon) -- this is Unleaded 95 octane.

I doubt the 525i is considerably worse than the 520i in terms of economy. The E34 is not a light car, I think the 520i would be struggling a bit more trying to shift all that weight.

If you're going for a 520i, the manual is probably a better choice -- a 520iA would be quite sluggish. Don't be surprised if you open the bonnet of a 520i and see all this empty space

There are a few E34 replacement parts that pop up on eBay Australia from time to time -- especially clear lenses. If you like this look, you could pick up a pair or two to maintain the more modern look. Get a pair of good rims and maybe even lower it and you would have a fairly respectable looking car -- except for that 520i badge on the back just kidding.

The E34 is a good car -- it's my first car and I'm a 2nd year graduate, so it wasn't that long ago that I finished my studies. They're quite solid and usually only break down if they haven't been well maintained.

M A I N T E N A N C E

Do you have the cash flow to maintain one of these beast? You mention nothing about maintenance.

Seriously...maintnence is a big factor.

Better save your pennies.

I know I am. (fellow college e34 owner).

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

I would not have been able to afford this car in college. Even though the upfront price is fairly low, you are buying essentially a kit. You have to put it together and maintain it. That's where the money comes in.

If you are just worried about gas, you really shouldn't buy this car. Buy a Hyundai or ricecar and run it into the ground. Nobody cares about those cars when they die and you won't either.

Being a student means that you need dependable, and this age of a car means that it "needs" maintenance. It's dependable after the maintenance is done- but not before. So, that's the threshold.

If you can grab a car from one of the people on this forum, you have a real shot to have the best of both worlds. If you buy some cracked pile of **** from some lady that has yet to discover using the gas and brake pedal seperately- then you are screwed. You have to then look at asian crumple boxes. Not very safe, but very dependable.

Happy July 4 Americans!

I have to agree with the maintenance issue. These cars need regular servicing and if something breaks your Austudy wont even cover the labour charge (just ask Mattyb how much his tranny is costing to be rebuilt!!!). You are right in thinking that the E34 is a great car but I wouldn't consider one until you've got your degree and can throw the money they need at them OR study to be a BMW tech and get a job selling BMW spares. I don't mean to dishearten you but it's a reality. Feel free to PM me if you are interested in servicing and parts prices in OZ.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

yeah i definitely couldn't have afforded mine when i was a student.
    would have to say though, there is always the e28. depends on your cash flow i guess.
    did you mean an M50 (twin cam) 525i?
    good luck finding one in manual.
    where are you located

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I must also agree that on-going maintenance is a big issue, but the cost of it is manageable if you buy cleverly and do it yourself - or with the help of friends.

As to which car to look at, I would recommend the M20 525i as from a maintenance perspective I think it is simpler than the M50 motors. They are also very economical and perform better than most on this forum would admit. Certainly look for a well - maintained manual one.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast