Hi,

I recently purchased a 1995 530i Touring wagon. I have two issues I'd like to resolve if possible.

One is a non-working (double) sunroof. Initial investigation revealed that the switch was disconnected. After reconnecting it, I discovered that the motor does work, but only operates when the switch is activated to the "in" position. Moving the switch to the forward or back position does nothing. With the front motor removed, I can hear a relay at the rear (sounds like it's near the rear motor) operate when the switch is activated in all three positions. Checking the switch with an ohmeter reveals all three positions have continuity.

Everything else operates normally except the ASC light will come on when the car exceeds a few miles per hour and can't be reset without turning off the ignition and restarting the car. The switch then operates normally to turn the system on and off, until the car is driven once again.

All the fuses are OK, although there doesn't seem to be any fuses labeled for the sunroof. I have tried the "reset" trick for the sunroof, but nothing changes. Is this a motor problem or are there other possible causes? Seems there are several components involved in this system, but I don't know where they are located or where to go from here.

Any help with either of these problems is greatly appreciated.

Gerard in San Francisco.