GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a 97 840 w/ 36k miles, thinking about it for the wife?

Default Found a 97 840 w/ 36k miles, thinking about it for the wife?

My wife has been bugging me for awhile to replace her little Acura Integra with something more fun, faster, and safer. She really likes the 8 series, and always takes time to point them out to me. The other day she found a burgundy 840i with 36k miles for around $23k. I am very familiar with my e34, but I don't know that much about the e31s. I was hoping some of the more knowledgeble members of the board could offer some insight into buying an e31...I am looking for mechanical/reliability concerns compared to my e34 530i manual. Thanks in advance!

I'm sure all of the suspension clunks etc that apply to E34's hold for this one, plus the Nikasil issue. And to help get you started:

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e31.html

If I'm reading it right, they also had self levelling suspension. Make sure this was changed out because when it fails (not IF), it's mucho $$$ to fix or to replace with non-self levelling.
    Last edited by BigD; 03-31-2004 at 03:45 PM.

Default For the wife,

Yes, you should definitely get one for your wife. Of course, you might have to test drive it once in a while, maybe even take it to work to show your coworkers......

And then there's vacation, driver's events, autocrosses ... lol
    Mike S.
    1992 535iM black/black
    1997 540iM white/gray
    Retired: 89 535iA, 85 318i

<<Support your local autobahn, stay out of the left lane!>>

Default Can you do any repairs yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert 530i
    My wife has been bugging me for awhile to replace her little Acura Integra with something more fun, faster, and safer. She really likes the 8 series, and always takes time to point them out to me. The other day she found a burgundy 840i with 36k miles for around $23k. I am very familiar with my e34, but I don't know that much about the e31s. I was hoping some of the more knowledgeble members of the board could offer some insight into buying an e31...I am looking for mechanical/reliability concerns compared to my e34 530i manual. Thanks in advance!
    Rest assured that it will need SOMETHING addressed sooner or later.
    We love our E34 525i but had I not been able to do the mountain of repairs I've done to it, we'd have 3 times what it's worth invested.

I'd HATE to see someone get a bad taste in their mouth on a deal.
    There is NOTHING like driving/owning a Bimmer.

The e31 is a very nice cruiser that has that punch on the highway. Watch out triple digits.

Since you said it is a '97, the nikasil issue probably does not apply. It should be the same engine as in the e39 540i and e38 740i, non vanos. That is a very nice motor and to reference any V8 problems you can go to e38 and e39 sites. Steptronic is also nice. Ed also has done some work on wifey's e38 740.

If you are in the US, I don't believe any US spec e31s got the self leveling. So that might not be an issue. The e31 does suffer from the thrust arm bushing and small swaybars. The pixel display may be bad, ~$125 to replace the pixel strip.

It is a very sound and safe car. The chassis/body is very rigid. Perfect for the hubby.
    Brandon J

Default Thanks for the info...

I do a lot of the work on my e34 myself, I was thinking that the 97 must have the newer 4L V8, but I wasn't sure. I just did the thrust arms on my e34, I must confess that I paid my uncle to put them in. I just didn't have all the tools for that particular job.

I figure she will like the e31, and on the many days that I have to take it to work, she can enjoy the e34.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info, I would agree that if I had to rely on the mechanic to do every little repair that my prissy car has required, I would be a very poor man.

Default Robert, I hope you have really deep pockets, I work on a couple of them and

everything you have to get for one is priced pretty steep.. The usual maintenance stuff for the v8 is the same as the 540 but thats where the similarity ends... The suspension on most of them is edc which makes the self leveling suspension look cheap( as in economical) by comparison when it comes time to buy new parts.. And body parts or interior parts at all can be considered very costly, I ordered a headlight for one low beam from Patrick at bma not too long ago and it was right around 500 if i recall correctly and then the headlight adjusters which fail require that you replace the bucket usually around 1000 each... I ended up maching new gear assy
    for the one i was working on...Nobody ever has parts in stock for these, you almost always have to order and wait for any 840/850 parts.. Including routine items like brake pads and rotors... I like the way that they drive but I would think long and hard about buying one... You might get her to drive one first.. She might not like the way that they drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert 530i

Default I'd say Bill makes a strong case AGAINST....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    everything you have to get for one is priced pretty steep.. The usual maintenance stuff for the v8 is the same as the 540 but thats where the similarity ends... The suspension on most of them is edc which makes the self leveling suspension look cheap( as in economical) by comparison when it comes time to buy new parts.. And body parts or interior parts at all can be considered very costly, I ordered a headlight for one low beam from Patrick at bma not too long ago and it was right around 500 if i recall correctly and then the headlight adjusters which fail require that you replace the bucket usually around 1000 each... I ended up maching new gear assy
    for the one i was working on...Nobody ever has parts in stock for these, you almost always have to order and wait for any 840/850 parts.. Including routine items like brake pads and rotors... I like the way that they drive but I would think long and hard about buying one... You might get her to drive one first.. She might not like the way that they drive.
    The purchase.
    I'd sure take Bill's opinion to heart.
    It may save you a HEAP of heartache down the road.
    No matter how beautiful, good driving and tempting the car is (believe me, I drool uncontrollably when I see them, too), you may want to leave that machine to those with the "I will own and drive one, no matter what the cost" folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    What an e31 fellow did also was machine his own head light adjuster fix for about 100 e31 owners. If I can recall correctly, he charged $25. BMW has a 15year warranty that they implemented for the headlight adjuster.

From a mechanic's point of view, it can be bad b/c of the rules of efficiency and time. I have had no probs getting pads and rotors, brake bombs, struts, Csi rear bumper insert, fender liner, interior panel clips, interior C-panel, etc. for the e31. The fender liner took 3 days more than normal. I have more trouble getting e34 euro pieces or M5 stuff. I think it would be a great fit for the wife because how safe it is and comfortable it is to drive.

I would say stay away if there is any parallel parking involved because someone else always hits the nose. Happens to Camaros too.

I am sure this car would not be as aggressively modded or not at all for the wife. Factory parts are reasonablely priced, ahem, except for things like the headlight bucket. Just get a headlight protector so the lens does not crack. There are a few choices for less dusty brake pads. If I can remember on prices, the C-panel cost around 130, and the Csi rear bumper insert was about the same including the clips. The fender liner was around $75. Many people here know how much the rotors and pads are. It is a common misconception that the bigger cars' parts cost more. Well, for stuff like headlight buckets yeah. The e39 and e38 ones are costly too but they don't compare to the e34 b/c if a lens cracks, we don't have to change the whole bucket assembly.

The car can be a great car if you do the work and shop smart. As with any car.

It is a fun car with the windows automatically rolling up at ~95mph to reduce drag. It always gets looks from others. It is also very quiet even at above highway speeds. The trunk is reasonable in size too.
    Last edited by Brandon J; 03-31-2004 at 05:38 PM.
    Brandon J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast