GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M50 Performance

Default M50 Performance

I know to some of you out there the title is an oxymoron but hey its what I got. Anyway I am thinking of getting the EAT chip for my car and was wondering is it going to make a diffrence? I mean the 525i is nowhere as fast as the 540i but can I get something out of it. I dont have money or time for a turbo kit or cam job so dont suggest those. Besides $4000 bucks for a tubo kit come on, are you joking! **** I can get another car. Sorry for the bable its late and i am bored. So is the chip worth it? If so where are the dyno results cant find them.

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

clean out throttle + eat chip + intake + spark plugs + plug boots + moly disulfide oil additive + special gas additive (acetone + speed-tec + fp60)

fairly cheap "upgrade kit", you could one up it with performance coils, removal of catalytic converters, new higher efficiency injectors, or other random crap that do a "little" but add up and complement each other, providing noticable gains in power.

high flow throttle body = 8HP
    if you have an auto, you can get a performance tranny chip
    for manual lighter flywheel.

I just installed one in my car. I have an M20 and it made a huge difference. The HP gain is only about 10% I think, but it is very noticable. My car is super smooth now. It made a bit of a difference off the line but it really made a big difference from 2500 RPM up. If you search the forums everyone who has installed one is very happy with it, me included. For $200 it is definitely worth it.

I have one and highly recommend it. The best $200 you'll ever spend on your car. There is a big difference in the "feel" in the performance. It gets rid of the lag onder 3000 rpm and has a nice kick over 3k. Most people report better gas mileage but I can't keep my foot off the gas enough to milk it for mileage. Don't know about the feel with an auto trans but don't know why anyone would drive one anyway. (5 speed manual snobbery )

EAT is excellent. Best bang for your buck. Had the chip for about 18 months. Gas mileage may have improved slightly. performance seems enhanced across the board and car just seems easier to drive.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default M50(TU) performs great.... just a bit small for the cars...

....heft... wonderful engine and moves the car along nicely, even with the auto... not quite the 'uumph' of the M30, but heck, it's a newer engine, 4 valve per cylinder, TU has vanos which feels cool, c, newer motoronic, electronic ignition... even with the auto tranny it's not a slug...

...just remember it's a great motor, though only 2.5L. with the EAT I think you'll be right under 200hp and 200ft/lb torque.. that's a decent gain for the money...

..otherwise just keep it maintained well, get a sachs kit and some nice wheels/tires and enjoy the ride while acceleration comes second.
    Rob.
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Just got my EAT for my m50b25, didnt really notice any difference in power.. the rpm limiter dissapeared.. thats about it.. But when it comes to difference in fuelconsumption I noticed a "huge" difference.. I used to get about 10.5liter/100km for my daily driving. Now im down at 8.5/100km
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Well forget what i wrote in my last post. IVe just went for a drive, and my tank was getting empty,i started to feel a "new" drag in the engine.. though i was because the car was light.. Filled up 30 litres.. And drive it hard for some more. there really is a "new" sound between 3000 and 4500 rpm, and a little power kick around 5500+ The fuelconsumption was enourmous during this little drive.
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 60K old change it.

also, if you add 1oz of pure acetone per 3.3 gallons of gas (3oz per 10 gals, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

DO NOT ADD MORE than that amount, otherwise the gas will be gains will be lost.

I currently add 3.5oz/12 gallons + 2oz of FP60 + 1oz of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip.

Default Mythbusters just did the acetone deal the other day on

the discovery channel. 0 gain , nada , nothing

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    performance chips do use more gas during acceleration, that power comes from somewhere you know!

however, if the O2 sensor is biffed, considerably more fuel could be used without the chip thinking anything is wrong, if yours is over 60K old change it.

also, if you add 1oz of pure acetone per 3.3 gallons of gas (3oz per 10 gals, thats NOT a lot at all) you can expect to see an increase in gas mileage greater than the decrease caused by the chip, however that increase will lessen in conjunction with O2 sensor accuracy, but nevertheless increase.

DO NOT ADD MORE than that amount, otherwise the gas will be gains will be lost.

I currently add 3.5oz/12 gallons + 2oz of FP60 + 1oz of Lucas UCL, and get about 10% better mileage than the EPA figure for the car, even with my lead foot and performance chip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast