GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victim of Flood, need help.

Default Victim of Flood, need help.

Unfortunately, my ride was overtaken by the recent NE flooding and is now at the mercy of the insurance appraiser. Having never dealt with a car that was filled with water, I wanted to get your thoughts before they make me an offer. I am concerned about the potential damage to the car's electric system and drive train, but am hoping that they would be okay after drying.

I recently had Kirt rebuild the valve body, which btw rocks, and have proudly invested alot of time, money & sweat to keep my ride as new as possible, therefore I really would like to save my ride; if at all possible. Or, should I be looking at this as an opportunity to upgrade??

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA
    Steve
    '94 540I A (149K miles on orig. Nik motor) & EAT enhanced

My personal opinion on insurance claims, it can go 1 of 2 ways. The first, they give you more than enough money and you decide to upgrade; a new vehicle or one without the damage, and potentially less problems to deal with. Or, you keep the same vehicle, and end up continually pouring money into it for repairs as a result of the flood, as well as the normal repairs/upgrades planned for the ride. In my case, rear ended by a Drunk driver, recieved $3000 for the car damage, ended up draining me for almost $4500, by the time I was done repairing all the related problems.
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts

Thats a really, really good point.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Not sure how it is in your state, but in NC the insurance company totals a car if the water comes over the door sills. Doesn't matter if the car is still running and working just fine, they still total it.

You would still have the option of buying the car back if the insurance company totals it, but it would have a salvage title.

Best bet is to see what they say about the damage and how much they offer you IF they decide to total it. Good luck.

Bret.

heres what I would do Buy it back from the insurance company. DONT try to start it or let the insurance try to either.. Drain all fluids change the plugs see if it starts.. If it doesnt part it out.. by the time you get done parting it out and getting what the insurance company gives you. You should be able to replace you car and then some...
    my two cents... I am in NE PA as well but mine was spared any damage..
    good luck
    jim

I agree with Jim, did that same thing with my Mustang when we had the flooding in Western Oregon.
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

Pardon my second post... But DO NOT start it till you have made full sure theres no water in the intake/top end of the motor!!! Water in the motor will cause hydro-lock!
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

Keep in mind also that even if you do restore it completely, the flood damage is always going to show on your Carfax report.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

My experience with flood cars is that they are always a problem. Once water gets in the harnesses, its abuot impossible to dry them out and not have electrical ghosts start to pop up and cause endless headaches down the road. As much as I hate to say it, if the water filled the floor, especialy if it got under the back seat, demand the insurance company total it out.

The wires will start to rot over time, you might get severe rust problems.
    Its not worth to keep her, you would have to take her completely apart, replace all the wires and brackets and stuff that are not meant to be in contact with water, all the carpeting, sensors and i dont know what else.
    It will cost you times more than the market value of your car if you restore her properly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast