GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EAT Chip

Default EAT Chip

This is probably a stupid question but do I have to use 91 octane after I chip the car, I use 89 now. I know I do just making sure. And do all the chips require 91 or is there that can use 89. I have the M50 Vanos engine. Thanks for your help.

EAT Chip/K&N Panel Filter/Blaupunkt MP46/JBL 15" sub/Crimestopper Alarm/e38 basketweaves/Deutschland Plate/Clear Corners

Yes, you do.

Could someone explain how you convert the octan between US and Europe?
    You have 89 and 91, we have 95 and 98, are they essentially the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Toomas
    Could someone explain how you convert the [octane] between US and Europe?
    You have 89 and 91, we have 95 and 98, are they essentially the same?
    The Octane number is a measure of the antiknock quality of gasoline...the ability of the gasoline to resist knocking when it is burned in an engine.

There are two lab tests to measure octane that are run in a single-cylinder engine operated under different conditions:
    • RON - Research Octane Number
    • MON - Motor Octane Number

The octane number posted on U.S. gasoline dispensers in service stations is the anti-knock index (AKI) ...which is a calculated average of RON and MON [(RON + MON)/2, usually abbreviated (R + M)/2]. The AKI was chosen as the posted value in the U.S. because experience showed it to be the best indicator of the antiknock performance of gasoline. In other parts of the world, RON frequently is posted on the pump. (as a rule of thumb...the RON of a gasoline equals the AKI + (4~6).)

So an 87 AKI is equivalent to 91 RON....89 AKI is equivalent to 95 RON...and 93 AKI is equivalent to 98 RON.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by 94_e34_525i
    This is probably a stupid question but do I have to use 91 octane after I chip the car, I use 89 now. I know I do just making sure. And do all the chips require 91 or is there that can use 89. I have the M50 Vanos engine. Thanks for your help.
    The M50tu (VANOS) and the M50 both require 91 AKI (95 RON ) or higher octane.

By the way, the prices of the EAT chips were adjusted a few weeks ago, I had planned an increase for over a year but kept delaying it. The link you will find here: http://www.bimmer.info/eatchips/ is no longer valid. (you may be able to access it but I won't be shipping any chips for that price now)
    I'll ask Ed to change the link to my regular products page. When you order the chip via PayPal, I will send you a refund of 10% if you mention the "bimmer.info discount" in the comments field. And I'll send 5% ($11.45) to Ed to help pay his server fees.

MarkD

There you are! I noticed you no longer posted on Roadfly. Always great and informative posts.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    There you are! I noticed you no longer posted on Roadfly. Always great and informative posts.
    Hello Russ,

Thanks.

The reason I don't post on RoadF%$ anymore is because when I try to log in it says my browser is not accepting cookies... I'm sure it is. I even made the changes they mention to get the browser to accept cookies but no luck.

Mark

is it mozilla?

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    is it mozilla?
    No, Microsoft IE

i just filled up.. cost me about $82 AUD for a full tank of BP Ultimate (98ron..??)
    Thats about $60 us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast