GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: After market sliding roof??

Default After market sliding roof??

Planning to fit an aftermarket (WEBASTO) glass sliding roof to my E34. They say that I have to remove the roof brace in the middle of the roof to allow for space for the installation of the roof. This is the brace that is supporting the roof in the middle from one door to the other. Would this affect the integrity of the roof??

Keep it stock, sunroofs are overrated anyway.

If its GLASS, or if its CARPET;

on a rainy day you can't enjoy either
    on a snowy day you can't enjoy either
    on a winter day you might enjoy the glass
    on a clear sunny day you will have the sunroof open

All other things equal, glass might be nicer, but the upgrade doesn't sound worth it, especially if you're jeopardizing roof integrity (they don't hold much to begin with). Stay stock and enjoy an original german design!

Greg
    _

Quote Originally Posted by aabdelhamid
    Planning to fit an aftermarket (WEBASTO) glass sliding roof to my E34. They say that I have to remove the roof brace in the middle of the roof to allow for space for the installation of the roof. This is the brace that is supporting the roof in the middle from one door to the other. Would this affect the integrity of the roof??

Webasto is (was for e34) OEM supplier of motors to BMW, they are as good as you'll get for a non-factory installed roof.

aabdelhamid: have you done this yet and what are you happy with the results?
    Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 07-08-2006 at 06:21 PM.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro

All other things equal, glass might be nicer, but the upgrade doesn't sound worth it, especially if you're jeopardizing roof integrity (they don't hold much to begin with). Stay stock and enjoy an original german design!

Greg
    I disagree - I use my roof all the time.
    I leave it open - tilted up in back at all times if it is not open fully.
    I live in Montreal, so we are talking about winter with sub zero temps, rain (it never comes in) and summer.

The tilt option is a must on any car I have, relatively quiet fresh air without putting down the windows and messing my hair! It's a nice combo with the AC on.

I have left it tilted in rain while driving, parked - whatever - it only comes in if it's raining almost horizontal (which unfortunately does happen here!)
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by aabdelhamid
    Where were you able to find a glass moonroof? They're nearly impossible to locate.

Greg
    Greg, you obviously don't have a sunroof

On a rainy day, you can open the sunroof at highway speeds without problems.

On a snowy day you can open the sunroof at anything above a walking pace and snow will not come in. Driving through snow with the roof open and the seat warmers on is a beautiful experience.

I drive with my sunroof open almost 365 days a year. I wouldn't buy a car without one.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Actually, you will see that my sunroof is open in my sig pic Sorry that my post communicated the wrong message here... aren't we discussing the minute differences between a glass sunroof and a painted sunroof? Now between no sunroof and having a sunroof, well, I love having my sunroof!

I love having the sunroof open on a gorgeous day. If I had a glass sunroof, I would ALSO have it open a gorgeous day. Maybe I'm not using the roof to its fullest potential (hence I claimed they are "overrated"), but to each his own.

P.S. here's something to try that I found out by accident... tilt the sunroof and open the rear passenger window only. You will feel the effects of a personal fan materializing next to your head
    _

Actually, you will see that my sunroof is open in my sig pic Sorry that my post communicated the wrong message here... aren't we discussing the minute differences between a glass sunroof and a painted sunroof? Now between no sunroof and having a sunroof, well, I love having my sunroof!

I love having the sunroof open on a gorgeous day. If I had a glass sunroof, I would ALSO have it open a gorgeous day. Maybe I'm not using the roof to its fullest potential (hence I claimed they are "overrated"), but to each his own.

P.S. here's something to try that I found out by accident... tilt the sunroof and open the rear passenger window only. You will feel the effects of a personal fan materializing next to your head
    Sorry if I misunderstood. Yeah, glass or upholstered, doesn't matter to me. But you gotta have a sunroof.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Aftermarket sunroofs for BMWs are, generally, a mistake. They tend to be poorly sealed and start generating a lot of wind noise a few years after installation.

If the car didn't come with a sunroof from the factory, keep it that way.

best, whit