GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory turbo update pics

Default Mandatory turbo update pics

Been a long week... and its only tuesday. I spent prob 5 hrs bead blasting this all after work. I know some people will not value my choice of paint, but honestly I don't really care. These parts are from BJL4776's old motor that I purchased - it had 200k miles on it or so. I should have taken some before shots and some after shots, but compare the cleaned parts (last pic) to the block/head pics.

WARNING: Slightly large turbo ahead.

This will not work - I want to top mount the turbo, but the scroll of the turbo would be such that it would lay IN the head... so... new idea.

The small turbo housing on the valve cover is a Turbonetics Super 60 i believe. For scale.

Block is hideous I know, its getting hot tanked this weekend. Thats the turbo conventionally bottom mounted - it works "ok" on the E36 but I am afraid it will not clear the sway bar/subframe on the E34. Plus its too hidden.

I have decided to make an "UP PIPE" that will come off the manifold while the manifold is "bottom mounted".

Exhaust side

And finally the parts I cleaned up with bead blasting - took a while, lots of little crevices but its CLEAN. The crank case cover has little "specks" on it - that's in the aluminum casting. I thought about sanding it down but that's too anal and I don't want to put pressure on it and warp it. These parts were FILTHY. TLC rules. And yes - that is a TIG welder in the shot hehehehe....

Jon

you're having a blast in your garage... how are you going to measure to make sure the turbo fits?
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

E34 with M50 has a GIANT cavity when you remove AC and the washer resevoir... i have no worries... let me find the pic of that.

You get the idea... AMPLE room. If I have to I will either trim the rad hose shorter so its closer to the radiator or make a metal pipe instead. Shouldn't have to do either though.
    Last edited by Jon K; 06-27-2006 at 04:53 PM.

I'm beginning to think my 540 needs a turbo
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

almost looks gold anodized, i think its cool...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Finally cleaned out that garage ??

Been clean for a while now - ever since your and jasens car barfed all over it haha.

Lookin good...
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

Jon,

Does it fit with the steering linkage too? Thought the e36 manifold didn't account for that and in turn the flange for the turbo was moved to the front/downfacing for the e34s.

Good luck with the build.
    Brandon J

Brandon - not even sure if it does but like I said I am not oging to mount it downward - going to make an up pipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast