GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power steering prob 92 525iT

Default power steering prob 92 525iT

hello all:

i hope someone can help me tonight.

i'm on the road, using a friend's dialup (sloooooow) connection, but *at least* i have accss to you guys!

so i'm away from home on a trip. tonight all of a sudden the power steering started making the classic groaning noise. i pulled over immediately and checked reservoir. i have a 1992 wagon so self-leveling rear susp. fluid level was below mesh screen in reservoir, out of sight.

i looked in the manual. it says for normal cars (no self-leveling) check level with dipstick and if low "put fluid (ATF) into reservoir". but for self-leveling, it says unscrew top of reservoir, pump brake 10x and if low, then add "fluid as specified on outside of reservoir." but of course my car (158,000 miles) has nothing showing on outside of res!

when this happened it was after 5;30 so my normal, very wonderful indie in NH had alreay closed. i need to be on the road again tomorrow morning early if possible.

in desperation i added 2 pints of normal power steering fluid, not ATF, since manual did not specify ATF in the section on self-leveling.

so what the !@#$%^&* kind of oil goes in there? LHM or pentosin? ATF? i realize i may have to do a system flush right away if i put the wrong stuff in there. i find it maddening that nothing in the manual lists capacities or types of fluids for the p.s. reservoir, etiher conventional or self-leveling! (although there is that one passing mention of ATF in parentheses for conventional suspension.)

also, i cannot find a leak anywhere. any suggestions as to where to look for one. can't put it on lift, but i ran the car for a while on blacktop and no fluid came down ointo the ground.

i put in 2 pints of p.s. fluid and the level still didn;t come up above the mesh, drove about 20 miles to the place i'm staying tongiht and by the time i got here was hearing groaning noises again.

so if possible early tomorrow morning i'll go in my friend's car to an autozone (about half an hour away) and buy lots of the proper fluid and keep adding it until i can get home and do a proper flush.

thanks for any help,

bruce

Default The big metal reservoir is usally stamped

CH11 or something like that ...Only seen a few, but I remember them being embossed.

Plan on a good flush from head to toe, mixed fluids can be trouble.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default Bruce, if you have LAD, it takes CHF 11.S

The cap to the reservoir should have that embossed in it. The fluid level will be below the screen, but should be just below it. I do not know how to rid the system of the other fluid if it gets in to the rear shocks, etc. Unless someone with definite experience in this area chimes in, your best bet is probably to use a turkey baster and pull all fluid out of that reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kennett
    I looked in the manual. it says for normal cars (no self-leveling) check level with dipstick and if low "put fluid (ATF) into reservoir". but for self-leveling, it says unscrew top of reservoir, pump brake 10x and if low, then add "fluid as specified on outside of reservoir." but of course my car (158,000 miles) has nothing showing on outside of res!

when this happened it was after 5;30 so my normal, very wonderful indie in NH had alreay closed. i need to be on the road again tomorrow morning early if possible.
    Last edited by Scott H; 06-27-2006 at 05:47 PM.

If it's losing fluid rapidly as you say, it just might flush its own self as long as you keep putting more in.

Yup - I too looked all over the reservoir hunting the label - only to find it right in the center of the cap as Scott says. Ditto on the turkey baster - don't think you want to take a chance on fouling up the rear shocks at about $500 per each.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    The cap to the reservoir should have that embossed in it. The fluid level will be below the screen, but should be just below it. I do not know how to rid the system of the other fluid if it gets in to the rear shocks, etc. Unless someone with definite experience in this area chimes in, your best bet is probably to use a turkey baster and pull all fluid out of that reservoir.
    well, the cap does say CHF 11.S -- can anyone tell me if this is a BMW-specific fluid, or something where i could add a reasonable substitute until i can limp to a shop? i'm in rural vermont right now. for example, with my citroen DS (hydraulic suspension, steering, gearchange, etc.) if you had a system problem you could run ATF temporarily until such time as you purged the lines and put in the good stuff -- LHM.

i certainly don't want to ruin the rear shocks. there's a simpatico guy a few miles from here who can probably get me up on the lift and we can try to problem solve together, and meanwhile i'll just use a borrowed car to make my trip today and tomorrow.

so the main thing is, what exactly IS this CHF 11.S and does it have any brand names? substitutes?

thanks for your help, everyone!

bruce

Unless your leak is at the shocks the fluid you added isn't likely to get there anyway, if it is then it really doesn't matter that they see the wrong fluid.
    A leak that bad should be easy enough to spot, start with the hoses and fittings. The price of Pentosin should be motivation to correct this soon. I'm sooo glad my car doesn't have this. I feel for you brother.
    Can we see a pic. of the Chevy?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default leak location

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Unless your leak is at the shocks the fluid you added isn't likely to get there anyway, if it is then it really doesn't matter that they see the wrong fluid.
    well, once i get back on friday from the next leg of my trip, i can get it up on a lift and sleuth out the leak. i am wondering if my boots are swollen and holding fluid.

A leak that bad should be easy enough to spot, start with the hoses and fittings. The price of Pentosin should be motivation to correct this soon.
    ah, okay, so that answers my question: it IS pentosin. luckily there appears to be a place in white river junction (not too terribly far from here) that is reputed to have lots of bmw spares. so with luck i can buy some.

I'm sooo glad my car doesn't have this. I feel for you brother.
    Can we see a pic. of the Chevy?
    thanks, i wish it didn;t have it, also. but it came as a part of the package, with an otherwise great car. do you mean the citroen? sure. i'll be back home next week and can post one then.

bruce

Default I would not use atf in it, only pentosin. Here's bmw's

take on it, they state that mixing of fluids is prohibited

ah, okay, so that answers my question: it IS pentosin. luckily there appears to be a place in white river junction (not too terribly far from here) that is reputed to have lots of bmw spares. so with luck i can buy some.
    Last edited by Bill R.; 09-14-2007 at 11:22 PM.

Actually I was asking calmloki who indicates he has Chevy wagon. Let's see the Citroen though.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast