GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: horrible ticking & slight smoke

Default horrible ticking & slight smoke

So i started the e34 540 after about a week of non-use. Before i had put it to rest the week before, I had noticed a horrible electric buzzing sound (like the kind in the movies where a power line is on the ground zapping things); I had also known that the car has a bit of a valve cover gasket problem and they need to be replaced.

Anyways, I started the car and heard a horrible ticking noise that was now accompanying the electric buzzing; i gave it a slight rev to about 2000 to see if it would go away but it got worse/faster with RPM; i need to move the car about 10 feet so i did so and a slight bit of smoke came out of the hood... I quickly turned it off; anyone have any suggestions?

Buzzing may be your Idle Control Valve. Mine was all gummed up and made weird noises like that.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by MBXB
    Buzzing may be your Idle Control Valve. Mine was all gummed up and made weird noises like that.
    just to be clear, the buzzing also happens when the key is in position 1 as well (engine not on)
    Last edited by MaloventEvil; 06-24-2006 at 01:14 AM.

Maybe you have 2 sources for the clicking? The ISC with engine off and lifters with engine on? The v8's get cranky if they sit too long when they get older and will often take a while for the lifters to pump up. If its lifter noise with the engine running, make sure you have enough oil and let it idle until it stops being so metalic, don't rev over 2500rmp or so until it goes away.

Maybe oil from leaky VC gaskets burning off?

oil pump bolts?
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

Quote Originally Posted by Ausmpower
    oil pump bolts?
    can you elaborate on that?

Oil pump bolts come loose and drop into the oil pan.

The ticking noise can come from old oil, since you should check the bolts anyways you may aswell change the oil too.
    Also the ticking can come from bad hydro rockers (are they called that in english?) and you would have to replace all of them.

BTW dont drive her if possible before shes checked out and fixed, you can lose oil pressure and twist the crank and all kind of bad things can happen.

edit: the fuel injection system may be buzzing, just pull its relay and try again - if it goes away you have found the problem.

there are a couple of posts relating to it very recently on the board.

the latest one that Regal started has my post about tightening torques for the bolts, and new o-rings you are supposed to buy when fixing it.