GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Crap! it overheated again . . .

Default Crap! it overheated again . . .

She overheated on a roadtrip 4 or 5 years ago & I thought I had fixed it for good with a new thermostat & fresh coolant. Did it again today after lunch, shot up to just shy of the red on the way back to work. Turned the heater on full blast & it cooled to the 5/8 tick mark, normally it's always straight up 12:00 o'clock.

Let it cool for a few hours & then opened the cap, level was full but gurgled a bit. Tapped the thermostat housing with hammer & opened the bleed valve. Rock steady at 12:00 o'clock all the way home at 95F outside with the a/c on in city traffic. Don't know what was up earlier. Ordered a new thermostat & fan clutch anyway & will do the water pump & radiator aux. switch while I'm at it.

Don't know what happened, possibly it heat-soaked when parked for lunch & perhaps the anti-freeze is on its last legs & it formed a vapor bubble? Better get after none-the-less & put some fresh "blue stuff" in it. Let's hope I don't need to do the dreaded headgasket job. Good excuse to polish the ports, extrude-hone the intake, & put a bumpier cam in it
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

Default Don, just out of curiosity , if your going to extrude hone the

intake why not send the head to them and have the bolt the intake on and extrude hone the manifold and intake port... Of course you'll have to regrind the seat but i'm guessing your planning on that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    She overheated on a roadtrip 4 or 5 years ago & I thought I had fixed it for good with a new thermostat & fresh coolant. Did it again today after lunch, shot up to just shy of the red on the way back to work. Turned the heater on full blast & it cooled to the 5/8 tick mark, normally it's always straight up 12:00 o'clock.

Let it cool for a few hours & then opened the cap, level was full but gurgled a bit. Tapped the thermostat housing with hammer & opened the bleed valve. Rock steady at 12:00 o'clock all the way home at 95F outside with the a/c on in city traffic. Don't know what was up earlier. Ordered a new thermostat & fan clutch anyway & will do the water pump & radiator aux. switch while I'm at it.

Don't know what happened, possibly it heat-soaked when parked for lunch & perhaps the anti-freeze is on its last legs & it formed a vapor bubble? Better get after none-the-less & put some fresh "blue stuff" in it. Let's hope I don't need to do the dreaded headgasket job. Good excuse to polish the ports, extrude-hone the intake, & put a bumpier cam in it

make sure that the pisser line is not getting restricted at the coolent bottle, that little goofy twist and turn the coolent has to go through collects up crud right at the cap where it dumps
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    make sure that the pisser line is not getting restricted at the coolent bottle, that little goofy twist and turn the coolent has to go through collects up crud right at the cap where it dumps
    Yeah, that one's clear & there's a steady stream. I've been suspecting a bad headgasket for awhile. Must have passed some combustion gas into the coolant as I bounced off of Mark's 6800 rpm rev limiter in 1st while I blew the doors off a Firebird that was trying to pester me yesterday morning.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

all of that thought, plus suspicion of antifreeze triple point antics, and no new radiator cap procured with your thermostat and clutch?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."