GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Do I need to remove the battery when fixing seat twist?

Default Do I need to remove the battery when fixing seat twist?

It appears as though I've got the seat twist problem described by so many, with several methods on repair. The problem is with the drivers seat recline. Two things that I couldn't get a clear answer on are:

1) Should I disconnect the battery first in my car? '94 540.

2) I've got memory seats and the methods describe only say that its more complicated but not how. Is there anything specifc I should be aware of here?
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Default If its drivers side only that your messing with then i wouldn't

worry about it. If its the passenger side then i'd think about disconnecting it unless your positive that you won't turn the key on. Theres a seat sensor on your year i believe on the passenger side tied into the passenger side airbag and you would set a fault if you turned the key on with that sensor disconnected. If its the drivers side , as you say then leave the battery connected and just unplug it under the seat , you'll want the power there anyway to check your adjustments as you fix the cable. On most of them that i do i have to change the setting a couple of times before the seat feels square to me. Usually it may look perfectly straight visually but when you sit in it your back can still feel some twist so then you pull the cable back out and turn it some more until both sides are adjusted the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    It appears as though I've got the seat twist problem described by so many, with several methods on repair. The problem is with the drivers seat recline. Two things that I couldn't get a clear answer on are:

1) Should I disconnect the battery first in my car? '94 540.

2) I've got memory seats and the methods describe only say that its more complicated but not how. Is there anything specifc I should be aware of here?

the bag circuit watches the seat belt latch tensioners on the later cars as long as you don't turn on the key it should not throw a code
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the bag circuit watches the seat belt latch tensioners on the later cars as long as you don't turn on the key it should not throw a code
    When adjusting the seat, what should I use to turn the cable? I saw someone post something saying they put it in a a drill or something to turn it which was much better than manually twisting it. I suppose I could ajust the seat with one out till I'm ready to put the other one in and try it that way, but that may get frusterating.

Thanks for the notes about the airbag guys. I'll keep it mind.

i run the seat to it's stops one side at a time with the motor but a drill works too
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I use a 12 v cordless drill with a 3/8 keyless jacobs chuck , it

fits down onto the end of the cable nicely and i use the slowest speed setting to spin the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    When adjusting the seat, what should I use to turn the cable? I saw someone post something saying they put it in a a drill or something to turn it which was much better than manually twisting it. I suppose I could ajust the seat with one out till I'm ready to put the other one in and try it that way, but that may get frusterating.

Thanks for the notes about the airbag guys. I'll keep it mind.

Thanks, I've got to go pick up glass for my broken window and if I catch a break in the weather, I'll give this repair a try today. I'll post when I have anymore questions, but hopefully just the results.

Seats repaired. Pretty much as easy as described by the posts and the writeup by Winfred. Thanks!!

I found it cumbersome working with the cable and getting it back in place, especially the longer side(I have memory seats). One not of caution, I pulled out the cable from the housing on the other end(pully/gear mechanism) several times, and also the actual cable wire would slide out from that side making me think it was longer than it was. I guess I should expect to have to repeat the repair in the passenger seat at some point in the future. Thanks again for all advice in this thread and the extensive history documenting this problem previously.

Bryan

I agree, I had my passenger seat out this weekend. Kept the key off at all times untill I replaced the seat and connected the wiring. No SRS light error.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment