GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: drivers side window clunking

Default drivers side window clunking

a couple of days ago my elec window was clunking, banging at the end of its travel up, tonight it didn't shut properly (i was hearing a whistling noise) so i brought the window down, then attemped to put it up again, pressed the sw, once it got to the end it made a horrible repetative clicking/ clunking, so i opened it slightly, which stopped the clunking, but not nice at 80 down the road!!
    is this a common prob and an easy fix
    any help would be great, thanks

bmw 525 td 94 L/H drive

search for "window regulator" it's not a hard job. While your at it get a bunch of new plastic slider deals to replace the old ones.

Inspect it before you start looking for regulators, but its kinda common for them to fail when a window gets stuck from messed up sliders.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You could also have loose mounting bolts or broken plastic sliders. Simple fixes. Take a look before you decide it's the regulator.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Mine did this quite recently...
    Took the door apart and found the runner on the front edge of the window had rusted away at the bottom, by the bolt.. It broke off, so the runner was just flapping round in the door..
    Caused the window to not shut properly, even slide up at a pissed-up angle sometimes
    Part 7 in this pic:

for that guys
    about to start having a look now, i'll let you know how it goes

just got door card and foam off, found that theres some teeth missing from the end of the lifting mechanism, looks like they've been worn down!!!
    any ideas how this has happened, or is it fair wear and tear?
    could a 'limit sw' be knackered allowing the motor to try and keep going?
    again

The teeth will eventualy wear off the regulator over time. If the window guide is tight, they will wear off faster. Does the window slow down as it reaches the last 3 inches of closing? it should run at the same speed all the way to the top, Baby powder works well to lube the guides, as does spray silicone, but silicone has its own issues. Sometimes the metal U shaped part inside the guide will corrode causing the guide to pinch the window, you can gently spread the guide with a large screwdriver to give it some more life, but replacememnt is the proper fix.

Check the teeth on the motor as well, they will often get a groove cut in them when the teeth on the regulator wear off. I used to work in a Saab specialty shop and we would weld new teeth onto the regulator with an acetalyne torch, they seemed to last as long as a new regulator would. Odd fix, but if you have a torch and some gas welding skill, will save you some money.

thanks for the advice,
    i've thought sod it and bought a complete unit, but will check out the guide rails!
    welding new teeth on sounds fiddley, you must have the hands of a surgeon!!!