GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: In search of traction control...

Default In search of traction control...

Ok... this may be an interesting post... who knows... I'm interested in getting some kind of traction control for my car. Its a 1990 535i 5-speed and will be getting a TCD turbo kit installed. My fear is if the power turns around to bite me I might not be able to control it fast enough. Granted I do practice safe driving habits and have done HPDEs, etc... but I want a little more protection in case the wife distracts me while driving (yes, we'll pin the blame on her).

Now... I see two ways of doing it. One is finding someway to retrofit an OEM ASC system to the car and the other is purchasing an aftermarket solution such as Race Logic.

Opinions? Discuss...

Been discussed before several times. I found one of them:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...action+control
    Last edited by Qube; 06-22-2006 at 02:03 PM.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

sorry... did a search but didn't find that one

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

MSD has an ignition system with slew control for drag boats. Drag boat motors often fail when overrun with the prop out of the water. The msd box can sense this situation & stall things enough to regain traction. There was a write-up in Hot Rod last year. It was deemed an unfair advantage at the strips, it worked so well.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    ha... i see what your saying, but wide sticky rear tires isn't what i'm looking for

The ASC is a function of the abs system and can be had with an abs control module change (Done on mine CONTROL UNIT ABS/ASC 34521090155 $1,489.86), the effect can be pretty harsh and when combined with an lsd sometimes it can feel as if there's a locker back there.

The traction control part is related to EML (fly by wire throttle) which isn't all that common on E34/39's. It limits the power by closing the throttle regardless of where the drives foot is holding the gas pedal if the abs system detects wheelspin. It constantly compares front wheel speed to rear. (Not worth the effort not to mention $$$)

I haven't heard of many aftermarket traction control systems (proper ones using wheel speed sensors not a guestamatoin based on speed of engine rpm shift / over rev as in MSD)
    Last edited by Ausmpower; 06-23-2006 at 03:28 AM.
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

I'm thinking of going with a Racelogic system at some point... but installation on Megasquirt might be an issue... I'm going to have to contact Racelogic directly. Funny thing is someone is putting there "basic" system new in box on bimmerforums for $950 or something like that. I found a distributor in the US who sells the kit for ~$1700... installs it professionally for $3400. I'll figure out what I'll do but I think its something that can wait for the time being.
    Last edited by uflnuceng; 06-23-2006 at 05:04 AM.