GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auxiliary Fan blowing fuses

Default Auxiliary Fan blowing fuses

About a week ago I noticed my a/c wasn't working well at idle. I checked the auxiliary fan and sure enough it wasn't turning on with the a/c compressor. Found a blown fuse (#25, 30A). I replaced it and the fan worked fine for about a week and now it has blown again. Electrical systems are not my strength so I really have no idea where to even start with solving the problem. Fan dying? Wiring/ground problem?

Not sure how long the fuse was blown as I just recently started using the a/c a lot. Worked great all last summer. Since that time the only semi-related repair I performed was replacing the intake gaskets on the M60.
    Last edited by FiveOJester; 06-23-2006 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Changed fuse number

It sounds like the Balast resistor for the fan is bad, and it could possibly be the fan too. Does the fan turn easily by hand (you can reach the bottom of it under the airdam). Apparently it's common for the magnets in the blower motor to dislodge and jam it up, happened to me, and this can cause the ballast resistor to go bad, I think that's correct. The balast resistor can be purchased for anywhere from $20-up to about $40, depending on the quality that you want.

Default Yup.

Check for a jammed fan first. If not jammed then check the balast.

Last time I saw this (friends car) it was a piece of styrofoam blocking the fan. Removed the foam and it was fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless_Kelly
    It sounds like the Balast resistor for the fan is bad, and it could possibly be the fan too. Does the fan turn easily by hand (you can reach the bottom of it under the airdam). Apparently it's common for the magnets in the blower motor to dislodge and jam it up, happened to me, and this can cause the ballast resistor to go bad, I think that's correct. The balast resistor can be purchased for anywhere from $20-up to about $40, depending on the quality that you want.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I was incorrect in my original statement. I am blowing fuse 25, not 29. 29 (low speed) is still intact.

Default ballast if you're blowing on high speed only IIR

Quote Originally Posted by FiveOJester
    I was incorrect in my original statement. I am blowing fuse 25, not 29. 29 (low speed) is still intact.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Should be a bad resistor. You have to take apart the lower bumper to get to it. I used a slightly stronger amp fuse
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX