Summary of what typical probs to look for in a 735

Well I will share some of the common e-32 problems so you can be particularly aware when checking out the car. Firstly, as the oldest of the e32's the 1988 year seems to exhibit more of these problems than more recent vintages. Your particular car has relatively low mileage (these days for an e32) so you may be in better shape than most. Be sure to get a carfax check to make sure the mileage is true.

Starting at the front..

Front suspension is a problem area.. Drive at all speeds including highway and feel for shimmies or wobbles. An entire front end rebuild can set you back a thousand real quick. Look for uneven tire wear, especially cupping or scalloping. Its typical for the inside of front tires to wear slightly faster on these cars. Its the factory camber setting.

The M30 "big six" Engine should start instantly, run very smoothly and quietly. Long cranking and rough idle can be intake manifold leaks and/or fuel pump or injector problems. Rough idle is a very common problem with the m30 engine. You can choose to fish out the cause, or live with it depending on your tolerance for such things.

Valve noise to varying degrees is common on the m30 engine. Adjusting the valves to the proper lash is a common maintenance procedure. I have three of these engines and one is real quiet, one makes a little noise, and the other is scheduled for an adjustment.

The fuel pump may need replaced by 150K or so. Head gaskets can sometimes develop leaks around 100-150K.

Make sure all lights, accessories and power functions work properly. Seat back twist is very common on these cars car this old. Seat function motors can also go out. The LKM (light control module) module is a frequent casualty as is the CCM (check control module)module. On Board computer is a frequent failure, and instrument cluster bulbs require dropping the steering column or removing the air bag/steering wheel and there are something like 24 bulbs.. my dealer charged me 5$ a piece for the bulbs. Sometimes the instrument clusters need a "capacitor fix" to eliminate malfunctions and error messages.

Under the car, motor mounts, trans mounts, trans and rear end seals and drive shaft center bearing and U-joints are all likely failures. The drive shaft is not rebuildable and can set you back close to a grand if you are not careful. Making sure the brakes check out goes without saying. I have seen a few reoprts of a rear diff clunk being related to a loose (or broken) carrier bolt.

The trans should have no leaks and shift very smoothly and flawlessly. The trans can cost up to $2K to rebuild so pay careful attention. Fluid should be clear (red)and clean and if is smells burnt, then thats what you will be if you buy it!

Rear swingarm bushings can wear, causing rear squirming when goosing the throttle in manual shift mode. Clunking in the rear end can be loose suspension mounts or broken bolts on the carrier.

The e32 iL's have hydraulic load leveling (LAD). This system can develop leaks, uses pentosin fluid, and is complex and expensive to repair. Also makes strut replacement more costly.

Some cars this old will need struts, maybe all 4, if not also springs. And exhaust, Ahh yes the lovely exhaust.. The system is expensive to replace and I have seen quotes for a thousand. This seems to be very dependent on whether salt is used on the roads in the area where the car has been driven.

Interior, look for wear, and cracking in the leather, especially in the drivers seat and arm rest. BMW wants $900 for a new leather cover for one seat.. Then it needs to be installed. I just had a phone quote from an upholstery shop for $2000 to replace just the seating areas on two front seats. The front carpet cannot be replaced without MAJOR disassembley and removal of the interior including the heater core box.

The Heat and AC needs to work perfectly. The heat/AC controller is a notorious problem in these cars and if the AC doesn't work, don't believe him that it just needs charged. If the blower motor only runs on high speed, then the car is likely in need of a "sword". The heater cores/pipes develop leaks, (leaking coolant sometimes into the drain there, but sometimes onto your carpet) especially in older e32's. This is a BEAR of a job and requires the nearly complete disassembly of most of the interior and dash just to get to it! MUCHO Labor costs!

So I hope this gives you an idea of the more common problem areas. if your car seems to not have these problems and has been well maintained then its likely a good car. We ALWAYS urge potential buyers to pay to have a complete inspection at a BMW dealer before committing the big bucks to purchase a car that may cost them an additional several thousand to make right. Better to pay a hundren now than 3 thousand later eh!

Good Luck!

written by Philly Bob