GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Trans Fail Safe message

Default Trans Fail Safe message

Hi,

I hope you don't mind an 8 series owner posting here, but I do share certain features with the e32 including the ZF4HP24 transmission. Please read on if you feel you might be able to help.
    I have recently received my 850 auto back from the local BMW dealers where they had been tracking down a shutdown problem. After a very long time they eventually found the defective module and replaced it. They also replaced both batteries. When I went to pick up the car the TRANS FAIL SAFE message came up on the Obc when I started the engine. I also noticed that the gear indicator on the dash was no longer working. I asked them to check out the problem which had only occured whilst they had the car.
    They suggested it was the electronic switch below the gear lever (25161219149) which they ordered and replaced. Both problems persisted. Next they tried swopping the instrument cluster with that of another customer's car. This still failed to resolve problems.
    The Diagnosis EGS Faults readout came up with the following:
    Gearbox Relay Relay in the SG cannot drop out.
    Solenoid valve canot be cut in or cut off.
    Interestingly although I get this message every time I start up, within a few seconds the message goes away and the gearbox works fine, abeit without the dash display. The dealer has suggested the gearbox does a self diagnosis check upon start up and thinks there is a problem at first, hence the message and then realises all is OK and message goes away.
    Although the car drives as it should , the message and lack of gear indicator on the dash is very annoying. Dealer suggests new EGS control unit required and is currently awaiting similar car to swop unit to test theory.
    Has anybody any helpful ideas or suggestions on this one as the dealers look like keeping me waiting forever.

Thanks in advance
    Richard in the UK

Hi Richard,
    do not buy a new module till it is 100% sure that that is the fault. Dealers like to change modules.
    I would suggest you ask the same question on these 2 boards in the U.K., where most of the E32 drivers are members. They also have a good knowledge and might even be able to swop their trans modules with you for a test if you tell them where you live. They also have some members which might have the right module for you for small money.
    But you have to mention the exact month and year of production, and also the number of the trans module. The trans module has the number on a big sticker on it. The month and year of production you will find on my website below under VIN decoder, where you just have to type in the last 7 digits of your VIN.
    Links
    http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/
    http://www.the7seriesregister.co.uk/
    It is right that the gear mode should be indicated in the dash, otherwise the
    electronic switch below the gear lever might be defective/dirty. You can see this switch of you go to my website below and look for the link to Jon Evans (evansweb) from the U.K.
    One the 7 resource and on the 7 register they also have a diagnosis tool which they usually use to diagnose the member cars on the meetings they have. But maybe someone lives close to you and can help you.

Thanks Shogun, Iwill try those UK 7 series sights. One question, as the problem on my car appears to be associated with the relay in the EGS control module do you think it might be due to 'bad' solder joints?

Richard

Richard,

it may also be due to 'cold' soldering points. We have to live with these problems now. Most or many of the cases are related to electronics now, cold solderings is one of them, but we cannot blame it. The soldering technique at that time was apparently not yet that good. We have that everywhere on the car, mustard relay, LKM, transmission modlue itself, CCM, IHKA control module and so on.
    Resolder it and see if iyt helps. On my website below there are instructions for beginners how to resolder electronics.

Just a mom....
    I just remember I once posted something about the trans module in 2005, here it is
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/116452/

Get the soldering iron out