GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, I got raped today. Man, am I sore...

Default So, I got raped today. Man, am I sore...

So, I took my car in yesterday to have the AC converted over to R-134a. I dropped it off overnight. The guy said he'd call me BEFORE he got into it to give me an idea of what it would cost. I had called around to a few places and the general consensus was around 250 bucks. WELL, I get a call around 3 today and the guy says he's got it all wrapped up for me. I'm a little shocked that he didnt call before like he said. He proceeds to tell me that he installed a new AC dryer and that he had to get it from the ****in rip off dealer. At that point my heart sinks. I know what's coming... ****ing 468 bucks to have my friggin AC converted!! I almost killed the guy. The dryer cost was 220. I could have had it overnighted off ebay for 100 bucks if he would have just told me!

Maybe I'm overreacting but Im a little pissed off. To top it off, this continues my search for a mechanic that I can actually trust....
    Self proclaimed eBay Sleazeball

Default Um....not to rub salt in the wound....

a Behr from BMA is ~$40. Sounds like you need to have a chat with this guy about what your final price is going to be since he commenced work before you gave him the green light......if that is truly what went down.

Quote Originally Posted by cableface
    So, I took my car in yesterday to have the AC converted over to R-134a. I dropped it off overnight. The guy said he'd call me BEFORE he got into it to give me an idea of what it would cost. I had called around to a few places and the general consensus was around 250 bucks. WELL, I get a call around 3 today and the guy says he's got it all wrapped up for me. I'm a little shocked that he didnt call before like he said. He proceeds to tell me that he installed a new AC dryer and that he had to get it from the ****in rip off dealer. At that point my heart sinks. I know what's coming... ****ing 468 bucks to have my friggin AC converted!! I almost killed the guy. The dryer cost was 220. I could have had it overnighted off ebay for 100 bucks if he would have just told me!

Maybe I'm overreacting but Im a little pissed off. To top it off, this continues my search for a mechanic that I can actually trust....

keep calm... give some thought to what you want to tell him.. then go have a chat...
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

25% on the parts, way too much on the labor and no dinner,drinks or foreplay. Not cool.
    1992 535i
    Work in Progress 6/06

That's actually illegal... They are required to get preapproval on any work over I beleive it's $150. This is the law...
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

Default I wouldn'tīt pay for the part, ...

any more than BMA would charge for it. This is not less than 150 USD discount over the invoice.

If he prefers, I would ask to remove the dryer and give me back the car without charges. He offer to inform budget before going on, and he didn't at his own risk!

Javier

Yeah, I'm still debating on what to do. This is a crock of ****. I'm going to cool off tonight and approach him about it tomorrow. This place was actually recommended to me by more than one person, so I dont know what the hell is up.

That's what I would do...
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

yeah- I would feel the guy out to try and catch him in a lie. go to www.realoem.com, pull up your cars ac dryer and print the page. Make sure he knows that you are aware of the parts cost- that site tends to be innacurate but it's ballpark pricing. At this point if you keep a cool head you're likely to get your car back for cheep or free, providing he did do the work unapproved. Just try to be friendly with them and tell them the truth- you were thinking 250-300, not 500.

Quote Originally Posted by e39dream
    yeah- I would feel the guy out to try and catch him in a lie. go to www.realoem.com, pull up your cars ac dryer and print the page. Make sure he knows that you are aware of the parts cost- that site tends to be innacurate but it's ballpark pricing. At this point if you keep a cool head you're likely to get your car back for cheep or free, providing he did do the work unapproved. Just try to be friendly with them and tell them the truth- you were thinking 250-300, not 500.
    First thing that I am doing is calling the dealrship to see if the part is 200 bucks there. That's where he said that he got it from so... we'll see.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast