all,

i have a 1992 wagon, bought it in april, so haven;t yet gone through a winter. when i open the rear door, i can see the wires in upper left channel are not just frayed, they are fully parted. the central locking doesn't work, and i imagine the rear window defogger doesn;t work. wires on right side are intact. rear wiper works.

so . . . here's my question: can i get away with a spliced repair here? replacing the harness element is certainly the thing to do long term, but i don;t have time or funds to do that right now. i look at the disposition of the wires, and where they have to go when the door closes, and i wonder about something stiff right at the point where the original wires frayed and separated.

has anyone done this repair? i'm thinking that instead of using a rigid connector into which i shove and crimp the existing wire stubs, i may try to weave a running splice with the wire strands, flow in a tiny amount of solder to pin things together but preserve flexibility, tape it carefully and hope it holds.

thoughts? warnings?

thanks,

bruce