GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Suspension/Front End Rebuild

Default Need a Suspension/Front End Rebuild

I need a serious rebuild on my suspension. Does anyone know if this kit on ebay would be worth a damn? And if I would need anything else besides struts? Forgive me if I sound stupid but I've never bought these parts before, much less worked on them. I'm going to attempt to do most of the repairs myself. I may let the mechanic do the springs though since I dont have spring compressor. Advice is greatly appreciated. Here's the link to the kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Quote Originally Posted by cableface
    I need a serious rebuild on my suspension. Does anyone know if this kit on ebay would be worth a damn? And if I would need anything else besides struts? Forgive me if I sound stupid but I've never bought these parts before, much less worked on them. I'm going to attempt to do most of the repairs myself. I may let the mechanic do the springs though since I dont have spring compressor. Advice is greatly appreciated. Here's the link to the kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
    The general consenus that the kit is crap and that it will have to be replaced within a year of installation. If you are going with lowering springs, you will not need a spring compressor.

Go with Lemforder brand parts for the suspension. They can be bought at bmaparts.com They also sell the thrust arms with 750i bushings pressed in for longer suspension life.

As far as a spring compressor, you can rent one for free, (with a deposit) from Autozone Autoparts stores and perhaps other ones will have similar deals.

Search the archives, there is a lot of info on this subject.
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

Get Lemforder parts from BMA.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Quote Originally Posted by DanH
    Go with Lemforder brand parts for the suspension. They can be bought at bmaparts.com They also sell the thrust arms with 750i bushings pressed in for longer suspension life.

As far as a spring compressor, you can rent one for free, (with a deposit) from Autozone Autoparts stores and perhaps other ones will have similar deals.

Search the archives, there is a lot of info on this subject.
    Well, I suppose I will nix the kit idea then. As far as what to replace, does the kit include everything that I should replace? The BMW dealership wrote "total front supsension rebuild needed". So, I really dont know exactly what that means. I tried to get them to clarify but they were dicks, and didnt really want to talk to me.

tie rods, center link (TRW), upper (with 750 bushing) and lower arms, possibly the Idler arm, sway bar links. easy job.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    tie rods, center link (TRW), upper (with 750 bushing) and lower arms, possibly the Idler arm, sway bar links. easy job.
    Thanks Jeff, that's pretty clear cut. Another question, has anyone ever heard of a company called Bruck? A seller on ebay says that they are a sister company of Lemforder. I was wondering if he's full of it or not. If they are a sister Co, are they of similar quality?

Seriously the Lemforder parts are the only ones you should consider. BMA is a good source for them. Don't get fooled by any of the other manufacturers (such as Meyle) and their claims to "exceed OE specifications". That may be true when they are new, but the honeymoon is over really soon.

The concensus on most all BMW boards starting way back when in the old Welty Digest all the way up until now seems to be that the Lemforder are pretty much the only suspension parts worth buying. Grunt's bushings if you like polyurethane would also be an option.

I did the job a couple times on my E28 and had the same experience. Same with most people I know in the local club and also online.

Enjoy!

Fusion
    Last edited by nuclearfusion; 06-19-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nuclearfusion
    Seriously the Lemforder parts are the only ones you should consider. BMA is a good source for them. Don't get fooled by any of the other manufacturers (such as Meyle) and their claims to "exceed OE specifications". That may be true when they are new, but the honeymoon is over really soon.

The concensus on most all BMW boards starting way back when in the old Welty Digest all the way up until now seems to be that the Lemforder are pretty much the only suspension parts worth buying. Grunt's bushings if you like polyurethane would also be an option.

I did the job a couple times on my E28 and had the same experience. Same with most people I know in the local club and also online.

Enjoy!

Fusino
    Advice taken. I'm just a miser at heart and damn I hate paying top dollar for alost anything. I guess this is an area to not skimp on. I'm going to go ahead and order the lemforder parts from BMA. Is Meyle alright for the sway bar links? BMA only has Meyle and OCAP available.

Anyone have a suggestion as to which order I should install all this? Does it really matter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast