GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: know anything about rx7 gxl's?

Default know anything about rx7 gxl's?

there is a nice looking rx-7 gxl for sale with 152k for 2500 obo, i know nothing about them, anyone?

Ask me anything. What year is the one you are looking at?

www.rx7club.com

Go to second generation FAQ, that will answer alot of your questions like "what did a gxl come with?"

Overall, I think they are excellent sports cars. Light, near 50/50 weight, smooth revving rotary, excellent brakes and steering, no body roll, parts aren't too bad either.

I'd check to see if the motor has been rebuilt, if it hasn't, set aside some money, it could require a rebuild. Rotaries run better and better and then they blow. If it has been rebuilt, ask by who. If rebuilt by Mazda, then it's OK, anyone else your throwing the dice. Overall they are very reliable though.

Default Had a bunch of Rotarys

Great cars, the motor is a completely differant world.

Like was pointed out earlier, 152K is pretty high for a rotary motor, likely been replaced, if not you'll need a new motor soon.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

When you start the car, if there is ANY smoke immediately apparent, then either the oil pump is mis-calibrated (common, not hard to reset or replace), or the secondary injectors are leaking (very common, PITA to replace). Obviously, blue smoke means oil, black smoke means fuel. When you drive it, there should be decent tourque below 4k, and then it should feel likeit "comes on cam" and starts pulling harder after that, if it doesn't have this "second wind", then the "thermal reactor" is most likely clogged with carbon and not opening the last two ports (it'a 6 port 13B motor). This is easy to bypass by safety wiring the ports open (you lose a little on the bottom end), but can be VERY EXPENSIVE to properly repair. Have the suspension checked out very thoroughly, sway bar bushings are quick to go bad, and the rear suspension bushings wear out quickly (causing very twitchy at the limit handling). The GXL should have an aluminium hood, "Turbo" mirrors, 5 lug wheels (15 or 16 depending on the year), 4 piston fron brake calipers, a sunroof, and electronic sport suspension (best to ditch this in favor of some Tokico or Koni shocks and Eibach springs.

As Bob mentioned, 152k is high mileage for a motor, if the owner can't show reciepts for a new motor, assum that it has not been replaced and plan for $2-3k for a new motor (depending on how fast you want to go), becuse you can spend that to rebuild the one you've got and still have a motor that doesn't run (thier tricky lttle SOBs, despite only having 3 moving parts internally). If the motor has been replaced with a used motor, unless he can verify how many miles were on it when he put it in, and how many are on it now (they realistically good for 100,000 miles), plan on putting a new one in soon. These motor like to be driven hard, the oil injector only puts a few drops in per day when driving like a sane individual, but you can use a quart every 3,000miles if you drive it hard (the more oil it uses, not leaks, the more lube is getting to the rotor housings).

One trick I used in my old motor was to run half a pint of Castrol brake fluid in every tank. Don't use synthetic, use the cheapo dot 3 Castrol brand, this provides additional lubrication to the apex seals and rotor housings, plus it helps to clean the intake ports and combution chambers.

As a Daily driver of an '87 RX-7 GXL with 219K on the original motor, I am amaized at some of the misinformation being given here.
    152K on a rotary isn't that hard to accomplish without a rebuild as long as the motor was taken care of, ie...frequent oil changes, occassionally taking it to redline, & never overheating the motor.
    Rotaries love the rpms and in fact will carbon up badly if babied. Hense the redline runs mentioned above.
    As far as rebuilders, that is a hit and miss subject, even the reputable rebuilders have bad days. Check either RX7CLUB.com or NOPISTONS.com for info on rebuilders/rotary shops in your region. Both websites have extensive info on the cars and regional clubs.
    The GXL was only offered on the 2nd generation of RX-7's, '86-'92.
    As far as options for the GXL check out this link.
    http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=249616
    Last edited by Karyn; 06-19-2006 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo

Brake fluid in the fuel?????
    Didn't you like your injectors, fuel pump, Silicone oil control ring seals or Fuel pressure regulator????

Stupid comment!!

If the motor blows a 'puff' of smoke when cold that is fine as they ALL blow a small amount when started. if it smokes badly at idle the oil control ring seals are on thier way out period (check hot after 5 mins idling).

Be sure to start it from stone cold before you buy it and pass on it if it isn't smooth at idle when cold (a stumble may be a sign of stuck apex seals).

Check for coolant bubbling in the radiator (housing water seals leak eventually) after a brisk drive.

make sure it has proper coolant, the construction of a rotary is very conducive to it becoming a battery when filled with plain water (Rusty coloured water? WALK AWAY!)

NEVER use synthetic oil in a rotor.

I too have had a few mazda's (16 actually!) all rotaries. My last was S2 rx-7 13b turbo, extend port, Wolf 3d, front mount IC, T04 hybrid turbo, giving 460 hp at the treads @ 25 psi, not bad for a daily driver!!
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

Got an 88 with 120K miles selling for less than that...

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless_Kelly
    The GXL should have an aluminium hood, "Turbo" mirrors, 5 lug wheels (15 or 16 depending on the year), 4 piston fron brake calipers, a sunroof, and electronic sport suspension (best to ditch this in favor of some Tokico or Koni shocks and Eibach springs.
    One trick I used in my old motor was to run half a pint of Castrol brake fluid in every tank. Don't use synthetic, use the cheapo dot 3 Castrol brand, this provides additional lubrication to the apex seals and rotor housings, plus it helps to clean the intake ports and combution chambers.
    The GXL did not come with an aluminum hood or "turbo" mirrors. And WTF brake fluid??? Are you sure you don't mean 2-cycle oil? I have the oil metering pump removed on my TurboII, so I run 2-cycle oil in the gas. I have been into to RX-7's for 6 years and NEVER heard of brake fluid in the gas, that doesn't make any sense.

Ausmpower- It has been proven that synthetic oil is ok to use as long as it's a high-end synthetic like Redline, Royal Purple, ect.

Otherwise pretty good comments from everyone. 152k miles on a non-turbo is not something to worry about as long as it has been properly maintained. A few months ago I sold my 85 RX-7 with 165k miles on it, still running strong.

KyleN20-Tell us what year the car is. Because if it's a series 4 (86-88) it might only be worth about $2000, a series 5 (89-91) will go for a little more.

Synthetic oil hardens the oil control ring 'o'rings'....... ask me how I know.....
    Not to mention the premature failure of the oil injection vacuum pumps on the rotor housings (diagphrams harden).

Properly maintained I.E: Warmed up & cooled down, oil changes every 5-8000 Km, Cooling system flushed, good quality oil etc.

Yes I used to use redline.......

I also removed the metering pumps on all my turbo rotors and used redline smokeless synthetic 2 stroke premixed with the fuel @ around 150:1.... Never got chatter marks or apex seal dramas pushing 550 hp @ 8000 rpm on 110 avgas for the drags (best was 11.3 1/4 mile on street tyres).
    Last edited by Ausmpower; 06-20-2006 at 04:46 AM.
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast