GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High res pics of my original "home town" now on Google Earth

Default High res pics of my original "home town" now on Google Earth

Recently (sometime in the last 3 months) Google has added pictures of the suburb of Bombay were I was born.

When my parents left for Canada in 1960, there were no highrise buildings there, just lots of decent sized detached homes. Now most of the single homes have been demolished and an apt. building has taken it's place.

I've attached a GOOGLE EARTH placemark for the hopsital I was born at, but you may have to change the extention from txt to kmz to open it.

I also attached a placemark for my maternal grandparent's house, I used to go visit then every day and then to the beach for an hour or so. The beach was really nice back in the 50's now it's overgrown with trees which you can see in the aerial view.

MarkD
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mark

When I click on your attached pics--here is what I see:

PK  G     doc.kmlMj0 yܴ
    ZPE(uז

I have used the satellite view on google maps before but had never downloaded google earth until last night. Wow! I was blown away by how cool it is. Here is the download link for those of you how haven't gotten it yet.

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Last edited by Gayle; 06-18-2006 at 10:42 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Mark

When I click on your attached pics--here is what I see:

PK  G     doc.kmlMj0 yܴ
    ZPE(uז

I have used the satellite view on google maps before but had never downloaded google earth until last night. Wow! I was blown away by how cool it is. Here is the download link for those of you how haven't gotten it yet.

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Hi Gayle,

is it possible to allow files with the extension kmz to be uploaded? I think that is the problem.

I just tried something that worked - save the file as *.kmz and then after it is saved, Windows asks if you want to open it. Once Google Earth is installed, it will properly open the kmz file.

And when you download GOOGLE EARTH, try the new beta 4 version, it seems to have more features.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkD; 06-18-2006 at 10:52 AM.

I love India and Indian Culture. Do you ever visit?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I love India and Indian Culture. Do you ever visit?
    I've only been back 3 times : 1972, Dec 1997 and Dec 2005.

There are some pictures of our last visit here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/m...n=publicAlbums

Bandra is also listed in Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandra

I've Google Earth on my computer and enjoy virtual flights over to NZ, Tikrit to check up on a friend, Vegas to scope out the poolside scenes...Sally is down south with the laptop and went to load the new Earth Beta. She reports Google Earth is no longer free - 7 day trial only. Anyone else have a favorite aerial mapping program? I enjoy the panning and circling features of Google Earth as well as it's full screen size. Msn local, aerial view, doesn't seem as smooth and friendly.... Any free suggestions? Tempted to just have her spring for the $$ version of Google's product

NASA has a free one out there, I'll see if I can track it down again. It was actually out before Google Earth was. I have Earth Pro and and love it. It's a must have for us 'War Drivers' (ask if you're curious).
    Josh

1990 BMW 525iA
    2000 Toyota Corolla CE
    2007 Toyota Echo

Quote Originally Posted by TheEndIsNear
    NASA has a free one out there, I'll see if I can track it down again. It was actually out before Google Earth was. I have Earth Pro and and love it. It's a must have for us 'War Drivers' (ask if you're curious).
    I've been playing with NASA World Wind this afternoon - it has a number of things that Google Earth does not - including the moon and other planets, the ability to view in virtual colors that show vegetation differences over a 10 year period, topo maps, linked earthquake and fires over a set period of time and lots lots more. It does not have the ease of use of Google Earth or the detail level. MSN local view doesn't thrill me at all. I'll leave NASA loaded up on this machine alongside Google Earth.
    So what are the Earth Pro advantages - any higher resolution? It is so cool to go looking at people's houses, cruising the Grand Canyon, checking out the little air base a friend was located at near Tikrit Iraq etc.. But I'm itching to see Tikal and hunt pyramids in the Yucatan - and the resolution doesn't cut it! War Drivers?
    Tom

Mark,
    cool OT thread... I like these random interesting posts.

Calmloki,
    Can we get a link to the Nasa one you have?
    I just searched Emule and found Google Earth Pro+Serial.... many hits, so if you want to download it free, go there.
    I don't condone software piracy... just supplying the "free" info.

The endisnear,
    I'm curious
    Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 06-19-2006 at 03:04 PM.
    ^^ ><((({>

Quote Originally Posted by SharkmanBMW
    Mark,
    cool OT thread... I like these random interesting posts.

Calmloki,
    Can we get a link to the Nasa one you have?
    I just searched Emule and found Google Earth Pro+Serial.... many hits, so if you want to download it free, go there.
    I don't condone software piracy... just supplying the "free" info.

The endisnear,
    I'm curious

Here you go - kind of a steep learning curve...

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/download.html

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast