GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Hose replacement?

Default Power Steering Hose replacement?

I have some cracked p.s. hoses that are seeping on my 91 525i (M50). I need to replace them soon. Is this difficult? Can the hoses be replaced without removing the pump?
    BigezVol

1991 525i, 106k, EAT

Quote Originally Posted by Bigezvol
    I have some cracked p.s. hoses that are seeping on my 91 525i (M50). I need to replace them soon. Is this difficult? Can the hoses be replaced without removing the pump?
    Did you ever get any assistance with the replacement of the steering hoses? This doesn't look like much fun. DO you know which ones are suspect?

I need help if you know about any postings that can help me.

Rich

Default I did replace PS hose (Pump to Box) on my 92 525i

I can help you if you can tell me which hose is leaking.

There are 4 hoses
    1. Res. to Pump
    2. Pump to Box
    3. Box to Cooler
    4. Cooler to Res.

Please find out which one is leaking?

Akhil

Quote Originally Posted by 4byr
    Did you ever get any assistance with the replacement of the steering hoses? This doesn't look like much fun. DO you know which ones are suspect?

I need help if you know about any postings that can help me.

Rich

I recently replaced the one from the pump to the box. I actually had one made by a hose company. I brought in the old hose and they reused the metal ends. I had never heard of doing this, but it only cost me $40.00. This thing was stronger than any hose you could buy in a store. Worked awesome.

Greg Mendoza

Quote Originally Posted by Mendozart
    I recently replaced the one from the pump to the box. I actually had one made by a hose company. I brought in the old hose and they reused the metal ends. I had never heard of doing this, but it only cost me $40.00. This thing was stronger than any hose you could buy in a store. Worked awesome.
    On my recent oil change ,the only leakage I could see under the car was light seepage at the PS suction (low pressure) hoses.
    BMA sells a meter length of the 12mm ID hose for $15. .I could not find it locally.
    So my first order from them will include this item also. Since this is a DIY job with quality hose clamps....Will definately have the hyrdrualic's shop rebuild the high pressure hoses when the time comes....
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

One thing to note, before this thread falls into obscurity where it should be:

There's a few supercessions on the part numbers. If you have a loopdeloop pump to box line and get a uh...more...linear one from BMA or a dealer, it'll still fit but you'll be confused and feel bad about it until you actually stick it on the car.

Pretty easy process. Use new crush washers. Fill with the correct fluid, bleed, drive.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by Akhil
    I can help you if you can tell me which hose is leaking.

There are 4 hoses
    1. Res. to Pump
    2. Pump to Box
    3. Box to Cooler
    4. Cooler to Res.

Please find out which one is leaking?

Akhil
    hey all,
    I need help replacing mine also on my 535i M30. I think my leak is from #1 Reservoir to the Pump. the hose is metal looking and all gunky. is this a high pressure one hose? How difficult does is it to DIY and how much are the parts.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoM3
    hey all,
    I need help replacing mine also on my 535i M30. I think my leak is from #1 Reservoir to the Pump. the hose is metal looking and all gunky. is this a high pressure one hose? How difficult does is it to DIY and how much are the parts.

thanks.
    The only high pressure line in the system is between the pump and the box. There's fluid pressure through the system otherwise (and whatever comes out of the pump).

Use new crush washers and flush the system/fill with new ATF (unless you have rear self leveling).

These hoses will start to seep over time, so it's not an uncommon replacement. I have no idea what it costs, but it shouldn't be that bad -- call BMA?

best, whit

Default self leveling

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    The only high pressure line in the system is between the pump and the box. There's fluid pressure through the system otherwise (and whatever comes out of the pump).

Use new crush washers and flush the system/fill with new ATF (unless you have rear self leveling).

These hoses will start to seep over time, so it's not an uncommon replacement. I have no idea what it costs, but it shouldn't be that bad -- call BMA?

best, whit
    How do I know if mine is self leveling? Don't know which to order? Also is there some kinda DIy instruction to install.

Thanks.

Default repair help

Ok here is a pic of my ps resevior and my leaky hoses. I think I need to replace both hoses coming out. They both look wet and grimmy. Esp the resevior to the pump. Can someone walk me throught the install because I am going to BMA tomorrow to pickup the parts and want to make sure I get everything.
    I looked on BMA and they have w/ self leveling and w/out for the res to pump.
    One is $25 vs $75. For the smaller hose where does this go to and what hose do i buy. Also what other parts do I need. Clamps? Washers? Can I buy these at the autozone/kragen or do I need special BMW ones? Also do I need to buy new ATF fluid. I think i was using dexron??? How do I go about replacing do I have to drain the res somehow or can I just replace hoses w/ out draining the res is full right now?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast