GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filter Suggestions

Default Fuel Filter Suggestions

Well, its way past time for the fuel filters in my car to be changed. This morning on my way out for work my car refused to start and had to get a ride with my dad. I know I should have replaced them earlier but I had planned on doing a large part of my maintenance next week.

So that you know what I am experiencing, when I turn the key to start the car all you hear is the starter, nothing else. I tried pressing the gas pedal while trying to start the car but had no luck. What is strange is that my car was fine yesterday evening on my way home.

Any way, to get on topic, I am wondering what fuel filter of the choices I have are the best? I can choose from Puralator and Beck/Arnley filters. I am thinking puralator but would like your input. Also, while I am replacing the fuel filters I am going to grab some NGK spark plugs, which most definately need replaced seeing as the last documentation I have on the car states that the plugs were replaced about 8 years ago, obviously they need changed.

Thanks for all your input
    -Patrick

um, you should only get the OEM Mahle or Mann filters, although purolator has good oil filters.

i would think a relay died if it just wont start on an M60..

DME and fuel pump.

the alternator may have bit the dust maybe, or the crankshaft position sensor.

replace the relays and fuel filters and see if that does the trick.

let the car charge while you are waiting, because there will be a lot of cranking to get the engine to start afer replacing the filters.

Well, I dove under the hood last night and into the trunk and found a few things. There is oil around the spark plugs, but the plugs look good, there is power to the fuel pump, and we cannot tell if the fuel pump is actually pumping. Tonight I plan on taking the fuel line off of the filter and checking if the pump works, if not then obviously I need a new pump and filters. I did find that the battery is only putting out about 11.25 volts and Bentley says it should be 12.6 volts i think, but I have a feeling that is not the problem since everything starts spinning when I try to start the car.

Thanks for the tip on the filters and relays. Do you know how to check if the DME is the problem?

Thanks
    -Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    um, you should only get the OEM Mahle or Mann filters, although purolator has good oil filters.

i would think a relay died if it just wont start on an M60..

DME and fuel pump.

the alternator may have bit the dust maybe, or the crankshaft position sensor.

replace the relays and fuel filters and see if that does the trick.

let the car charge while you are waiting, because there will be a lot of cranking to get the engine to start afer replacing the filters.

Remember to depressurise the fuel line,by pulling the fuel pump fuse and turn it over a few times,before you take the hose off the fuel filter.
    Wear safety goggles have some rags and a bucket ready.

Oh don't smoke
    Last edited by 2fast; 06-16-2006 at 02:47 PM.
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

did you try giving the passenger side of the gas tank a few knocks with a broom handle?

if your fuel pump is dying the knocks might wake it up a little and you can pinpoint the problem... this doesn't sound like a filter problem
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

well, you can bypass the fuel pump relay when the car is on to see if the pump is working.

the pressure regulator and return line should just pump that gas back into the tank.

Well, here's an update. It seems my battery is shot and is not supplying the car with enough power. The voltage was checked at the fuel pump and it was only getting about 9 or 10 volts. Tried again after I let the battery charge and still no luck. I guess tomorrow I am going out to find a new battery, anyone know where to get one, its not a normal car battery, at least not like ones in american cars. Again, thank you all for all of the help you have given.

-Patrick

Default easy to fine!

<am going out to find a new battery, anyone know where to get one, its not a normal car battery, at least not like ones in american cars>

Any other auto parts store that can get an Interstate or Johnson Control battery will have one for your car. In the US, I believe Johnson Control is the maker of batteries for BMW (Varta makes them for BMW in Europe).

Further, Sears sells its "International" model ($20 higher than standard) for MB and BMWs.

your car will not fire up with that low of voltage.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Battery

I bought my replacement e34 battery at Autozone. It was $59 with a trade in. I went to the hardware store and bought a longer vent ($.50) tube that I cut to fit as the provided tube was just not long enough. Battery works fine. I think it has a 5 or 7 year warranty. This Autozone battery is a lot less expensive than the other alternatives out there. You might search the site for others experiences as well. But the Autozone soultion is the most affordable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast