Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Drivers rear door and trunk locks are stuck closed, how do I get trunk open?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57

    Default Drivers rear door and trunk locks are stuck closed, how do I get trunk open?

    My 89 535im, first the rear drivers side door lock started to fail, now it is stuck closed, I can not open it manually from inside, or via key.

    Same with the trunk lock, it was sticking a bit and was becomming more difficult to open with the key, now it also is stuck closed, it will not open with the key or via drivers side or passengers side door locks.

    I tried re-synching the locks from the passengers side door lock but no luck.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    9,160

    Default

    Have you checked the fuses? In any cae you have to open the door panels. Have a look here on Johans page how to open the stuck rear door, maybe that helps.
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/

    If the trunk does not open, first try some lubricant on the key and try to make it work again. In the worst case there is a way thru the skli opening behind the rear seats in the middle (at least the E32 has this). There is a perforated metal sheet which you can hammer out. Then try to climb in or use a log stick with a hood to remove the carpet cover at the rear of the trunk to get access to the trunk lock from inside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,148

    Default Here is the door link in our archives

    That may help on the door




    Quote Originally Posted by icm5er
    My 89 535im, first the rear drivers side door lock started to fail, now it is stuck closed, I can not open it manually from inside, or via key.

    Same with the trunk lock, it was sticking a bit and was becomming more difficult to open with the key, now it also is stuck closed, it will not open with the key or via drivers side or passengers side door locks.

    I tried re-synching the locks from the passengers side door lock but no luck.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57

    Default Trunk lock

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Yes, I guess I was not very specific, I found the archive information on how to get the door lock open, but no information on the trunk. That is the tricky one right now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    953

    Default

    This might help with the trunk:

    http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_38.htm

    You just have to be persistant with it. Spend a whole morning turning the key back & forth if that's what it takes. Mine took several dozen cycles to get it to finally catch before I was able to open it up & assess the problem. The fix seems to have taken care of it for good, no problems with it since, from whatever date I typed in the link.
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57

    Default Trunk lock stuck closed

    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    This might help with the trunk:

    http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_38.htm

    You just have to be persistant with it. Spend a whole morning turning the key back & forth if that's what it takes. Mine took several dozen cycles to get it to finally catch before I was able to open it up & assess the problem. The fix seems to have taken care of it for good, no problems with it since, from whatever date I typed in the link.
    Appreciate the response Gale. It seems your problem was that your lock would not catch when pressed in to open the trunk. My problem is that the trunk lock cylinder is stuck in the horizontal lock position and will not turn at all. I am able to push it in but because it is locked it will not open. I have tried several times for 20-30 minutes to get the cylinder to turn at the trunk and I have tried to unlock via drivers door and passengers door.

    I will try again tomorrow and your web page will certainly help me once I get it open.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icm5er
    Appreciate the response Gale. It seems your problem was that your lock would not catch when pressed in to open the trunk. My problem is that the trunk lock cylinder is stuck in the horizontal lock position and will not turn at all. I am able to push it in but because it is locked it will not open. I have tried several times for 20-30 minutes to get the cylinder to turn at the trunk and I have tried to unlock via drivers door and passengers door.

    I will try again tomorrow and your web page will certainly help me once I get it open.
    If that's the case, then it sounds more like the tumbler is messed up or the key has worn to the point that pins in the cylinder no longer line up. Do you have a spare key you can try?
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,342

    Default Wile the cylinder is at horizontal position, ...

    it is not possible to unlock the trunk via Central locking system. It is the safety feature included for valet parking (You leave the key without the grooves and it will not fit the trunk/glove box lock, so leaving the trunk lock horizontal will not open without the master key).

    Lube the lock with some graphite dust and start playing with it, until you can, at least, put it back to vertical. Only then, the lock will be released to be unlocked via Central Locking.

    Javier

    Edit in bold
    Last edited by Javier; 06-18-2006 at 04:40 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57

    Default Trunk lock stuck in horizontal position

    Gentlemen: Thanks for your responses. I was able to fix the problem. For future reference to anyone who has a similar problem (trunk cylinder lock stuck in the horizontal position), always remember to try the simple solutions first, like lube the cylinder. I spent considerable time today trying to resolve it, not to mention the past few weeks living with the issue; I even started taking the trunk apart in my pristine 1991 M5 in order to see how the lock, actuator and wiring was situated. I researched everything available on multiple web sites; I almost started ripping the rear interior and seats apart in the 535 to get at the trunk through the ski opening as others have done. Good thing I decided to try some lube in the cylinder first. For some reason I was convinced that lube could not possibly be the solution, the lock just seemed to be mechanicallly stuck, I was convinced it was a faulty actuator. One small shot of lube and the lock opened smoothly with the first try.

    Thanks again for your responses and suggestions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 08:38 AM
  2. door stuck closed
    By Torque in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-30-2006, 11:30 PM
  3. Driver's side door stuck closed... Help!
    By Spartacus in forum 3 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2006, 09:38 PM
  4. Trunk lock not syncing with door locks
    By aussieroo in forum 3 Series BMW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2005, 09:12 PM
  5. door locks don't work....stuck open
    By motuman in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •