GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1994 540i driving impressions...

Default 1994 540i driving impressions...

Well, I'm still interested...

The steering wheel develops a vibration from 50-55mph then goes away. EDIT: Per review of the forum, it is often asked if this is during cruising or while braking or both. In my situation, it is only while cruising.

The engine seems strong, is quiet and idles well.

The check engine light is on. We'll check the codes on Monday. The windshield fluid light is on continuously in the cluster. I checked the reservoir and it was bone dry. I filled it and noticed that the container must have a hole in it as it came out of the side and made a puddle in my driveway.

The twisted seat NEEDS to be fixed! My back is hurting after a 28 mile commute home from work.

The exterior has more dings and stratches that I first noticed. A paint job might be in order. I'll of course wait to insure that there aren't BIGGER problems.

Monday and Tuesday the car will see two mechanics. The truth will come out soon enough!

Any thoughts on the vibrating at 50mph would be appreciated. As previously noted, the front shocks and bushings were changed in 2003.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BobbyRitz; 06-16-2006 at 05:21 PM.

thats standard if the bushings werent Lemforder parts.

any cheaper brand wont last more than 2 years before needing to be replaced.

id guess wheel balance first, out of round tires second, bushings/arms 3rd.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'll have the wheels balanced if I buy the car. The tires are probably only a year old. I plan to look at them on Monday once I get them off for uneven wear.

Thanks!

be prepared to see more wear on the ouside of the fronts and inside of the rears es if the car has been lowered
    From your descreption i would put money o the thrust rm bushings esp if you hear a clunk at low speeds.wheel blance and worn tyres can make this problem worse,and if the car has e39 or aftermarket wheels you might need 74/72.5 hubcentric rings
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    be prepared to see more wear on the ouside of the fronts and inside of the rears es if the car has been lowered
    From your descreption i would put money o the thrust rm bushings esp if you hear a clunk at low speeds.wheel blance and worn tyres can make this problem worse,and if the car has e39 or aftermarket wheels you might need 74/72.5 hubcentric rings
    Thanks for the info!

This car is as stock as they come and hasn't been lowered as far as I can tell. If the thrust arm bushings are shot, I'll add e32 750 bushings. I've been trying to find a thread that I read last night about e34 M5 bushings. I'm I remembering this correctly? e32 M5 bushings?

no, E34 M5 bushings, Winfred brags that these are real good, superior to the 750 bushings as they dont have the pastic inserts to patch a crappy bushing.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks...I might try the nut behind the wheel (to see if it's loose) and twisted seat fixes today...

Let's see how motivated I am.