Default Front Crankshaft Oil Seal

How do I remove this?

What engine do you have?

Default M30-Thanks!

nut'en.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW-F1-FAN
    What engine do you have?

Default Since you've already got the head and the pan off, its

easiest now to take the timing cover off too... You also said you have the crank pully already off too...I'd pull the timing cover and then remove the seal, you can inspect the guides, tensioner and chain at the same time..
    Otherwise if you prefer to remove it in place you just pry it out being careful not to scratch the crank..I use a screwdriver that has a bend in the end of it for a seal removal tool. Sometimes you have to punch a hole through the middle of the seal and then pry it out... Watch the crank surface though...

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    How do I remove this?
    Last edited by Bill R.; 03-30-2004 at 02:43 PM.

It's all about the front crank nut. 32mm if I recall, about 325 ft lbs of torque. To remove mine, we needed to use a serious twin hammer impact wrench. Motor was out of the car. Not sure what sort of clearance you have, might want to look at that.

If you do get the nut off, I'd consider replacing all the timing chain components at the same time:

- guide rail
    - tensioner rail
    - lower and upper chain sprocket
    - chain

You'll never have another chance to do it unless you get in there again. Parts are cheap vs. the effort.

Cheers!

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Jeff, his earlier post said he already had the crank nut off..

Third one down here

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    It's all about the front crank nut. 32mm if I recall, about 325 ft lbs of torque. To remove mine, we needed to use a serious twin hammer impact wrench. Motor was out of the car. Not sure what sort of clearance you have, might want to look at that.

If you do get the nut off, I'd consider replacing all the timing chain components at the same time:

- guide rail
    - tensioner rail
    - lower and upper chain sprocket
    - chain

You'll never have another chance to do it unless you get in there again. Parts are cheap vs. the effort.

Cheers!

Jeff

well..color me stupid!
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

Default Thanks Bill and Jeff. m=>

Yeah, the lower timing chain cover was the first thing I took off, followed by the oil pump and now need to remove the oil pan. My thoughts exactly about replacing the upper and lower sprockets and the chain. The guide rail got bitten off when the head was removed--one of those common mistakes for the first time DIYer or maybe it was just The Nader Factor. About the screwdriver with the bent end, is it bent like an "L" shape or a "J-like" fish hook? (The use of Arial font makes the lower leg of the L and J look the same.)

So Hector, just how did you remove the crank nut? I'm sure that will be useful information for others....

BTW, I have graduated from the Bill R. Univerity of Lower Sprocket Replacement. I'd be happy to outline what I did to pull/re-install that little sucker.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA

Default I used a breaker bar & cheater bar...

and it wasn't actually that bad breaking that mamajama loose. I'm hoping to post some pics later. I also rigged up a home-made torque wrench for when it comes time to put the hub and nut back on the crankshaft. Hopefully, I'll have pics of that too. It beats spending $125+ on a good craftsman torque wrench covering that torque range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast