GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Measuring Brake Pad wear

Default Measuring Brake Pad wear

Since most of you here are experts and I am ridiculously new to the DIY team, I'm hoping you can save me some research time. My brake lining light came on today so along with checking if the sensor is screwed up, I will check out the pads. I have not had any indication that they are wearing (no noise, car stops better than any car I've ever driven), but in checking them, what tool is best to measure the remaining life of the pad (a ruler?, I'm sure it's a bit more complex).

And with that measurement, how do i determine whether or not to replace? Unless of course it is so obvious when i look at them.

Mahalo

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock

When the pad thickness is the same or lower as the backing plate thickness, I would start to consider replacing them. Its not more complex by just visually inspecting them. You don't want a situation where the brake lining is all gone and the backing plate is touching the rotor.

Default Thanks; and another somewhat related topic

Thanks BigKriss. Just eyeball it then; no special measuring sticks.

I was thinking about painting the calipers. Not sure though, can't make up my mind if it's lame or if I would like it. My car is white, like yours, and the most popular color seems to be red which I definetily don't want. If I do, and i think there is an article on Pelican, what type of paint should I use; and how long before putting them back on for street use?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    When the pad thickness is the same or lower as the backing plate thickness, I would start to consider replacing them. Its not more complex by just visually inspecting them. You don't want a situation where the brake lining is all gone and the backing plate is touching the rotor.

Silver. Classy. I tried blue and have yellow. I now firmly believe a NICE silver is the best you can do.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Default Silver does sound good

Any particular brand/type of paint? Something Home Depot carries or is there a special "caliper paint"?

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Silver. Classy. I tried blue and have yellow. I now firmly believe a NICE silver is the best you can do.

dont paint them, have them nickel plated!!!

and if you paint them, you do need caliper paint. its ceramic based and wont burn on the surface of the caliper.

if you are removing the calipers, you should get brass bushings to replace the guide pins, rebuild the piston seals, and bleed the system with DOT4

Default Minimum brake pad thickness is 2mm and yes you

can use a ruler to measure it or a dial caliper or a depth mike. This 2mm does not include the backing plate on the pad, only the pad material itself

Quote Originally Posted by HIe34
    Since most of you here are experts and I am ridiculously new to the DIY team, I'm hoping you can save me some research time. My brake lining light came on today so along with checking if the sensor is screwed up, I will check out the pads. I have not had any indication that they are wearing (no noise, car stops better than any car I've ever driven), but in checking them, what tool is best to measure the remaining life of the pad (a ruler?, I'm sure it's a bit more complex).

And with that measurement, how do i determine whether or not to replace? Unless of course it is so obvious when i look at them.

Mahalo
    Last edited by Bill R.; 09-14-2007 at 11:22 PM.

I have painted some calipers already. I used VHT flameproof coating - the colour is flat alumium. the can is 11oz and can easily do 4 calipers. you have to remove the caliper, clean it throughly, apply some acetone to clean it, put several paint coats on the caliper and then cure it in an oven over 2 hours slowly increasing heat. There are instructions on the can. I can't say how well the paint hold up - I haven't installed the caliper yet. I like silver cause it looks stock also.

Default Thanks

Thank you Bill, exactly what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    can use a ruler to measure it or a dial caliper or a depth mike. This 2mm does not include the backing plate on the pad, only the pad material itself

Default Something else that you guys might want to think about, especially the

ones who claim to want function over form. There are a number of plating processes out there that improve the ability of an object to dissipate heat. There's a black nickel that comes to mind specifically for this. Most paints and ceramic paints tend to act to some degree as insulators , along with a number of plating processes. When you paint the calipers with either powder coating, or any other paint, your going to affect its ability to shed heat, Same thing applies to painting rotor hats and the outer finned edge of the rotor as well. So in your never ending quest for bling, you may have a detrimental effect on the new big brakes that you're putting on. Granted it won't be a huge difference but it is a difference, I don't know if anybody has actually done any research to determine how much effect this has or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast