GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone

Default Hello everyone

I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and start with a great big thank you to Winfred for the seat cable repair info.

I just bought a 1989 525i automatic that needs some TLC (which I'm in the process of giving it), but the seat really annoyed me.

Tomorrow, it get's new struts up front and an alignment.

Welcome to the forum!
    Post pics of your car, and its progress, as you can.

Again, welcome.

Nice - congrats and good luck with it.

Welcome aboard

Welcome, what's wrong with the seat?

you are going to do it yourself right? first or second project being front struts, theres nothing you cant do after that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless_Kelly
    I just wanted to say hello to everyone, and start with a great big thank you to Winfred for the seat cable repair info.

I just bought a 1989 525i automatic that needs some TLC (which I'm in the process of giving it), but the seat really annoyed me.

Tomorrow, it get's new struts up front and an alignment.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ah, good to see another '89.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

Welcome, You will learn a lot from many of members here. Excluding myself. You will learn what Not to do by me.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    you are going to do it yourself right? first or second project being front struts, theres nothing you cant do after that!
    I've been a mechanic for years (finally got out of it when it stopped being fun and I had no desire to fix my own stuff). The strut cartridge design is almost identical to the Audi's I've had in the past (I'm addicted to German cars), so it's really nothing new to me. Having said that, let me tell you, I've never had a strut cartridge THAT BAD. The cartridge was completely worn out, when I unbolted the lower control arm plate, the strut rod came OUT of the cartridge, releaing all tension from the spring (minimal tension, so no drama) and the bottom section fell to the ground with the strut rod and bearing plate still bolted in up top!!! this made removing the cartridge from the housing , um, errr, ahhh LITTLE difficult and only added 2 hrs to the whole process!!! It all went back together very nicely and even held the alignment that it got a week ago by the PO (still trying to figure out how the shop managed to align it with a wobbling strut, idiots).

I now have the "rear steering" phenomena to track down and fix and some vibration to find. I checked the rear subframe bushings today, and they looked fine, so I'm thinking that it's the "rear pitman arm" that was referenced on BMWe34.net. I'll get it back on the lift this weekend and figure it out.

To answer the question about the seats, the drivers seat was "twisted" due to the cables being too short for the right side. That was a very easy fix, and I shared the procedure with a gentleman I met today who has the same problem (local stealership wanted to REPLACE his seat to the tune of $400)

the rear pittman arms are always fubared, thats a given unless recently replaced so ordering a set of those is probably mandatory. Thats a simple fix...Alex from here replaced them on a gravel driveway without a jack! What a glutton for punishment but he claimed it went smooth. The rear subframe bushings could be shot and thuse arent real easy to replace or inspect. Most people that venture into that territory say that they were wasted when they got them out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast