GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Trans Problem

Default Trans Problem

on my 90 535i there is a trans program problem. there is reverse but no limp mode in foward (3rd gear) . when you put it in drive it goes nowhere ,when you rev it then the dash chimes and trans program pops up. i have flushes the tranny completely and new filter could it be the transmission speed sensor or do i have a junk trans it has 200 k on it

thanks

If your spped sensor does not work, the speedmeter will not work.
    In case your car is a US specification car, you can make a socalled stomp test to get fault codes. The procedure is described on my website below.
    Please lte us know what fault codes you get. Also look on my website for the link to European transmissions where typical faults are listed.

Have you properly refilled the trans oil amount? That is very important, also the temperature and the procedure. Also this is shown in detail under european transmission on my website.

good chance the a-clutch took a dump i did a small write up about it, it's on the front page in the engine and drive train section, the zf 4hp22 is not as picky as the gm tranny in the later 525s and usually it's something good when they screw up, you need a reader to get the tranny codes the stomp test just gets the engine codes, it may be worth getting them read but it will probably be something like a input/output shaft speed difference code, a dead solenoid would be a fairly easy fix just needing the pan dropped and maybe the valve body pulled
    Last edited by winfred; 06-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred,

the pics do not work anymore in the engine and drive parts section about the ZF trans repair you mentioned. Have a look.

they are on a link in the last post by ed http://www.bimmer.info/~rickm/trannyrepairs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Winfred,

the pics do not work anymore in the engine and drive parts section about the ZF trans repair you mentioned. Have a look.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

If you changed your tranny fluid upwards of 200k and it had never been changed, it's probably toast now. You have to keep up with fluid changes from the beginning. RARELY, can you jump in and change the fluid at a very high mileage and have no problems.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

winfred ..where do you get those parts ???BMW Dealer? also is the clutch is burnt like in the pic can you reuse them or do you need new ones?

if they are burnt they need replacing and if the steel plates between the clutches have been turned blue and are scored up they need replacing too, theres 6-8 clutch discs and about that many steels in the a-clutch depending on the year and model the quanity changes a couple, just do a search online and something should turn up, if you are in a good sized city theres a good chance theres a tranny supply place near you that if they don't have the parts instock they can get them in a couple days, the 4hp22 came in a ton of cars in the 80s and early 90s