GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy crap turbo is bigger than I expected..

Nice work that. How much are a pair of manifolds like that worth?

I run an M30 and am contemplating a hell of a time fitting a 745 manifold (round the wrong way, so the snail sits above it at the front of the engine) due to my steering box getting in the way at the he back (RHD car).

... but that's a real clean looking setup you are doing.

Even with a custom manifold I would want to get the turbo down low at the front (I only want a baby one- a T-04 or 5 will do). With one like this I'd have the luxury of being able to route the intercooler pipes somewhat discretely: ie not run the output pipe over the top and instead do it 'Alpina style' (ie feed into the stock M30 intake (modifeid to take air from the Left side), pretty much like the way the stock intake on an M50 does it- all down the LH side.

So the turbo will feed the cooler low down at the front right corner of the bay and the cooler in turn feeds the intake via the Left side. It means a bit more piping but does not require so much insulation and makes for cooler intake temps when driving in traffic (I hope)

Who made your manifolds? They've done a fantastic job, perhaps the result of some strong hallucinogen? Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 06-10-2006 at 04:00 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

One thing you need to consider is changing the plugs, get the location wrong and its a weekend job to do them! also, you want to be careful where you put the wastgate (for similar reasons). Problem of heat should be alright with appropriate thermal sheilds etc. On my M30 turbo, my manifold is very close to the steering box, so much so that that side is shimmed slightly on the mount. The wastegate was originally up top but was moved to under the AC compresser as you could not get to the plugs.

Turbo looks sick! I reckon it WILL be like an on off switch, power wil hit and the rear will let loose in 2nd 3rd, forget trying to modulate the power, especially if your using a smaller stock type throttle body. I'll be watching this one, should be !! What CR are you planning on running?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by beetos
    What CR are you planning on running?

Good luck.

As low as the VAC MLS gasket will take a M50 non vanos... so like 8.5 or 8.7:1

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Its funny you say that!

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 06/09/2006 3:34 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    What's even funnier is that I actually work at UPS (assuming this was shipped UPS) ... just not that shift.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123