GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Who needs coolant?!

Default Who needs coolant?!

Alright, fellas... Just looking for any thoughts/suggestions on this issue I've been having since I bought my car last January. This thing sucks coolant down and I never really see any large amounts of smoke coming out the back. But what really gets me is that I don't have any overheating problems.. Shouldn't the car start running a little hot after awhile without any coolant? So I get the "low coolant" warning which makes me wonder if maybe the the sensor is in the reserve tank while the radiator is still full (which would leave a leak somewhere between the two). Either way, I've let the warning go for quite awhile now, (two months probably) and even in the 85 degree weather not experiencing any type of overheating. Just something that's been on my mind thought some one would know something about.

Check around the upper rad hose clamp area. The neck may be cracked.
    I was losing about half gallon every two weeks. Radiator replacement fixed it.
    The sensor is in the expansion tank, front and center of the firewall. Cheap and easy to replace.

Check the return line that runs from the radiator to the expansion tank for leaks or cracks. It's made of plastic that gets very brittle with age. Also check the hole where the return line flows into the expansion tank itself.
    It can get clogged.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

i just used a massive amount of silicone to seal up there expansion tank hose where it connects to the radiator, mine was leaking like .

if you dont notice coolant leaking, check the water pump gasket and the frame of metal under the radiator for cooland drops.