GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone prepare to laugh at me... :D

Default Everyone prepare to laugh at me... :D

OK, so some of you probably saw my post about my 5er being turned into a boat. Well, this morning it had dried out some and so I called AAA to get them to come jump it. They showed up and I let it idle for the requisite 30 minutes. As soon as I turned off the car, however, the hazards and headlights started blinking, as if the alarm was going off. I got back in the car and tried to start it and nothing happened. Dash lit up but the engine wouldnt turn.

Well, it was at this time that I noticed, to my horror, that the locks closed down. And then I heard the servos double locking. And now I was trapped in my car. I couldnt unlock with the remote fob, and the little sticks wouldnt stay up so I couldnt get out that way. After sitting for 20 min or so, I called my wife and she came out and tried to jump start the car. Lucky for me, she was had never done this before and was trying to learn in the rain. This of course put her in a great mood! So we try and jump the car and that didnt work. Wife then proceeded back upstairs while I sat in the car.

I called the dealer and of course was put on hold and when I finally explained my situation, they were very helpful. Unfortunately, all the fixes they had required tools. ("Just take your no. 6 Torx and ...") Finally, they told me to bust out the rear quarter window and hand my wife the key and explain to her how to do the manual unlocking dance. Thankfully, just then my indy mechanic called and said he would drive over to my house and help me. Two hours later, he showed up and he was able to pry back the door enough for me to hand him the key. I was out in 10 seconds after that.

I spent a total of nearly 4 hours sitting in my car. My first act was to run into the house and pee. Now I'm just waiting for AAA to come and tow my car to Mighty Motors and they are going to fix it all. There is still some standing water in the electronics bay in the rear, so hopefully there isnt too much wrong with it. I wonder if it might be time to start looking at new cars. My wife's Corolla is kind of plain but bulletproof and fairly comfortable. Feel free to laugh at my misery, because I was!

Brian

How is it raining so much out there??! It's supposed to be summer!

That sounds like a fun situation that you got yourself in. Hopefully the car will survive all this.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

ROFL. That is hilarious.

Locked inside a car thanks to an electrical glitch, what are the chances?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBrian
    My first act was to run into the house and pee.
    Second act: get another key.
    Job 14:1 Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.
    az

I would have peed in the car, in my pants, 4 hours of waiting, in the rain.... ouch!

Good luck with the repair... hopefully it will dry itself out!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

That's Rough!! Question Though -And I ask out of concern for my own safety, and not to poke fun...

Would the manual sunroof handle open the sunroof when the car is "hard" locked, as in this situation?
    1989 325iX 5spd Coupe Koni Adjustable/H&R
    1989 535i 5spd Bilstein Sports/H&R, Tri-Flo, Conforti, UUC SSK

"If it isn't Diamondschwartz, it isn't... Dark Grey?"

I'm glad everyone was able to appreciate my situation. I just got back from having the car towed to the shop. The tow truck was able to get it jumped and he just followed me but the hazards flashed the entire way. My mechanic says the alarm and central locking computers are cooked so hopefully these wont end up costing me a billion dollars. As far as the sunroof goes, I would imagine the crank would work, but I never even thought of that. Isnt the crank part in the toolbox in the trunk though? I couldnt get to anything!

maybe everyone should keep an allen key for the sunroof/window in the glove box!

I belive you can also crank down the windows can't you? (there is a hole for the key in the doorpanel?)
    or was that in my e28?!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

You get points for patience - I think I would have kicked out a window way before you finally got relief. I guess the moral to the story is to lower a window before working on a car with electrical problems.

Holy crap does that suck! I would also have sat in the car for a while and exhausted all options before breaking a window to escape. Was there any damage to the door due to the prying?

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

There was no damage to the car due to the prying, my mechanic is awesome and he was very gentle. Of course, the instant he shows up, it starts to pour. Qucik plug for him, Haj at Mighty Motors, anyone within a country mile of Cambridge or Boston should use them! I'll let every one know what happens. Its supposed to be done early next week. In the meantime, I will be driving the wifes Corolla which has manual locks so there is officially no chance that I will be spending my weekend trapped inside the car. Plus, she has Sirius in there, so I could always listen to Howard! My brother's suggestion to my wife was to take my picture and then leave me to sit for a few. She was probably glad to have the morning to herself. I certainly wasnt going to cause any trouble from inside my leather jail...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast