GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie Rod End & Pitman Arm Puller

Default Tie Rod End & Pitman Arm Puller

I have to replace my thrust arms and might do my idler arm/tie rod ends. Has anyone successfully used this tool from HarborFreight on an E34? Part # P-36861

Name:  P6080045.JPG
Views: 2533
Size:  30.8 KB

that might work, I got a different one and man what a treat to use...lets see if i can find it in 3 minutes (gotta leave)
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Nope - that does not fit over the strut base. Ask me how I know.

I made this:

Default A picture is worth a 1000 words

Can't get any better answer than that!

that won't fit, and if your thrust arm is stuck, that doesn't look like it has the ass to get it off.

jeff, that looks interesting. if yours, at this point come off easy, that looks likeit could make arm changes extra quick.

if you live in the us (you said harbor freight), and already have the pickle fork, i'd go to advance auto and rent their $79 front end service kit. if it is stuck, just use the bill r method--detach the strut plate, and either use a hammer or the advance auto kit to get it out. jon k's setup costs about $130 to rent, and didn't work for me (mine was stuck). fyi, when i say "rent", i'm referring to tools that you get 100% refunded for after returning them.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

ps...i just saw you write that you may be doing tierods and other suspension parts...in that case, the advance auto setup is the only way to go. it has every type of puller you'd need to take the steering part of your suspension apart, as opposed to just a single tool to deal with the thrust arms.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Mine was "stuck" as was Saj3ns that I did, however what you do is spray it down with PB blaster, torque the air gun on that - I set my air gun to about 180 psi and just crank it until you feel unsafe near it. Then, leave the scene. Straight up go do something for like 10 mins. Come back, the stud will be out.

Have a crude version from Pelican of Jeff's . Have only used on on '85 535 e28 thrust arms. Helluva struggle on left side until I discovered that plate clearance was not machined correctly and blocked the BJ coming out. Right side, with correct relief in the steering plate/arm, popped right off.

Will have chance to try it on '89 525 upper arms and prob tie tods very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 525e34
    I have to replace my thrust arms and might do my idler arm/tie rod ends. Has anyone successfully used this tool from HarborFreight on an E34? Part # P-36861

Name:  P6080045.JPG
Views: 2533
Size:  30.8 KB
    Others correctly pointed out what you want to know, that the puller won't work for you.

You may want to remove the thrust arms, the cross member, the steering arm, all of them connected to the bottom of the strut bases as one complete unit to do it. That way you can bang it loose with a four pound hammer on the garage floor. That was how I did it.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast