GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where's my clunk?

Default where's my clunk?

hi all, hope u can help me on this one

my m50 has been running great but i have a niggle that i need to solve

got a clunk from the front right wheel area when driving over small bumbs/kerbs/cobbles etc

the guys at my local garage had it up on the ramp to have a look after a quick test drive. he said he could hear it but after tapping round all the linkages and bits and bobs couldn't identify it - oh well

i had another look myself the other day, even tightened that nut behind the steering wheel which has helped the steering response a lot!

still got a clunk though!?

any ideas

regards

sam

Default Sway bar links....

replace them in pairs. surprising how loud the clunk can be when the ball joints on these wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtallsam
    hi all, hope u can help me on this one

my m50 has been running great but i have a niggle that i need to solve

got a clunk from the front right wheel area when driving over small bumbs/kerbs/cobbles etc

the guys at my local garage had it up on the ramp to have a look after a quick test drive. he said he could hear it but after tapping round all the linkages and bits and bobs couldn't identify it - oh well

i had another look myself the other day, even tightened that nut behind the steering wheel which has helped the steering response a lot!

still got a clunk though!?

any ideas

regards

sam

thanks for the info, i'll get em checked asap!

strut collar nuts could be loose/worn ball joints too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default You won't feel much play in them....

at least not enough play to make you think they are causing as loud of a clunk as they really are. This is a deceiving part.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtallsam
    thanks for the info, i'll get em checked asap!

If all else checks out, it could be a cracked brace behind the inner fender liner:

Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

I would be willing to bet that it is your Upper Thrust arm bushings, mine did the same thing and even had the 80km/h or 50 mph shimmy to it I replaced these and it is all gone. What the thrust arms do is stop the wheel from moving front to back if you go slow(really slow) and hit the brakes hard with someone watching they will see your wheel move front to back or vice versa. Take a look at it the E34 models are well known for it and you cannot see it when you pull on any linkages or anything.

Default You can see bad thrust arm bushings with a pry bar....

If they are so bad that they are clunking, then you can bet you can see separation when you pry at them wth a pry bar.

Quote Originally Posted by nosdbmr
    I would be willing to bet that it is your Upper Thrust arm bushings, mine did the same thing and even had the 80km/h or 50 mph shimmy to it I replaced these and it is all gone. What the thrust arms do is stop the wheel from moving front to back if you go slow(really slow) and hit the brakes hard with someone watching they will see your wheel move front to back or vice versa. Take a look at it the E34 models are well known for it and you cannot see it when you pull on any linkages or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    If they are so bad that they are clunking, then you can bet you can see separation when you pry at them wth a pry bar.
    heh, i checked my bushings last weekend and found a lot of play in the lower control arms but none in the upper arms...replaced the lowers but i still have a clunk under hard braking...do you think the upper control arm bushings are shot or could it be something else??

what nut behind the wheel? did you take steering wheel off, or you mean the steering gear box? i have a little slop in my e34...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast